Networking with PC's and Multi-Session Burning

S

samurairamza

This is now the end of my first week of being the proud owner of a Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz as my first Mac and it's incredible. So far I have found it fairly easy to navigate as compared to a PC and haven't had much trouble but there are still a few more advanced tasks that I have been trying to figure out on my own and have finally decided to ask for some help:
1. Is it possible to use my Mac to view shared folders on an XP PC? (I already know how to use Samba so please don't point me to any Samba tutorials. I want to be able to view the shared folders on my XP PC without having to type in the name or anything like that. Much the same way you view network computers and shared folders on an XP PC.) I have tried searching for some software that might enable me to do this as well, but haven't found anything yet.
2. I have an HP Photosmart 7350 printer connected to my XP PC and want to know how to wirelessly print from my Powerbook. I have already installed the drivers for it and I can print with the printer physically connected to my Powerbook, but when I try to do it while its connected to my XP PC I get an error message or it just prints some gibberish and starts acting weird and spitting up paper.
3. Can I use my Powerbook to burn multi-session CD's or DVD-RW's? Is there any software I can use to do this?
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure that I had clear accurate questions and I look forward to your responses. :D

OP
S

StarManta

1. If you have panther, they show up like this in the Network browsing. Otherwise, you can click, I believe, "Browse" in the Connect to Server dialog. It will list them much like Windows machines do.
2. My printer did that too. (also an HP) I'd like to figure this out as well.
3. I think so, but never tried.

One outta 3 aint bad. :)

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

Not trying to add a useless post, but I am also interested in number 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
This isn't Mac related but I used to have a HP Photo Printer and it was not aboe to be printed to from a network. Seems HP has another model that is essentially the exact same hardware with something changed so only the drivers for it will work. That one is network print capable at a higher cost. I hope you aren't stuck with one of those that won't let you print across the network.

I switched to an Epson PhotoStylus it ticked me off so much.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I can answer the 3d question. you can burt multi-session disks with toast titanium 5. there is already 6 out, but you can not use this fiture. (not that i know)

OP
S

samurairamza

Thanks for all of your help so far. I used to have a PC laptop and I was able to print wirelessly from my laptop using the same HP Photosmart printer. Perhaps its a compatiblity problem with Macs and HP printers. But thanks to all of your help I have solved 2/3 problems thus far and that certainly isn't bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
samurairamza said:
Thanks for all of your help so far. I used to have a PC laptop and I was able to print wirelessly from my laptop using the same HP Photosmart printer. Perhaps its a compatiblity problem with Macs and HP printers. But thanks to all of your help I have solved 2/3 problems thus far and that certainly isn't bad.

I have the same problem with printing to a HP printer on an XP PC wirelessly. I called tech support and the guy told me that for some reason you cant print to it wirelessly because of it being connected to a PC. He said if I had a printer port on my router that would make it possible to print but other than that I have to physically connect it to my iBook.

Hope that cleared it up a little bit.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

Yeah...I have an HP printer connected to an airport which works just fine.

OP
J

JonnySkyman

Ok this printing thing!! I was pulling my hair out for months over it and gave up but i almost got there.

Firstly make sure you can share files and stuff with the XP pc wirelessly, make sure you have them set to the same workgroup. make sure the windows PC is sharing the printer.

If you do not have it installed install the gimp print driver package. I am not sure where you download it but a google search will help.

Go to printer set up utility and click add printer. Choose Windows Printing and the select your workgroup, if it isn't there you should be able to browse through 'Network Neighbourhood'.
Once you have selected this you need to choose your printer from the list of gimp printer drivers. If yours is not there then try all the HP drivers as many people have found other ones to work.

Jon

OP
T

TylerMoney

I have the same problem with my HP printer...I just though it was because it's an old piece of crap. I guess maybe it isn't quite totally that. I'll try that and see if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.