Networking Mac and Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz G5-MacBook-Imac-Iphone-Ipod
So I work in a small office where we have a Dell c3765dnf printer that we use for print, fax and scanning. I usually just bring my MacBook into the office and the owner has an iMac. The other computers are just dell desktops.

My macbook and iMac print just fine as that is not a hard issue to figure out. I could open image capture and get the Dell printer to scan back to my iMac at a tremendously slow rate. On the Dell desktops I was able to attach a shared file on the desktops that the scanner could easily scan all the files back to which ever computer I was at. I would really like to find a way to be able to have this scan function to the MacBook and iMac. I can see both my MacBook and iMac on the printer display but when I try to scan to it, I keep getting a "smb" error on printer. If anyone has any knowledge of how to make this happen it would be really appreciated. Its driving me nuts that I was able to figure it out easily on the Dell computers but not the mac!!!

Also, if anyone knows anything about this multi-function device, I'm trying to figure out how to utilize the scan to email function. Im assuming you can put a file in the auto feeder and have it scan directly to a stored email. I know this is not the proper forum for dell hardware issues but figured what the ****. maybe someone knows...

Colin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I also work in an office made up of Windows and Macs. I have a Canon printer/scanner but I use my Windows machine to scan then pick up the scan on my mac through a shared drive.

You don't say what model of Dell printer also is it's firmware up to date? My guess on the smb error is the printer need the IP address of the Macs. Have you tried entering the IP address of the Macbook and iMac into the Dell printer? Also you could tried using FTP - not as secure though.

Just thinking out loud here.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz G5-MacBook-Imac-Iphone-Ipod
the model is c3765dnf. I have all the ip addresses set up correctly. For whatever reason there is just not communication between scanner and Macs. I inputed the IP addresses and thats what was making it easy to print.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.