Networking drive shares from XP to use on MAC, how to i password protect?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Windows shares to be read/writable via my MAC. The only problem is, I want to be able to have specific usernames/passwords and i don't know for sure on how to do this with my XP machine.

I know this isn't a mac specific problem, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Windows shares to be read/writable via my MAC. The only problem is, I want to be able to have specific usernames/passwords and i don't know for sure on how to do this with my XP machine.

I know this isn't a mac specific problem, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

AFAIK, there are no UserNames involved with networking Mac/Pcs, but you need to know the name of the respective computers or the workgroup names (I'm not sure if they are one and the same). The Password is whatever you have set up for each account on the machines in question.

I'm not sure if you need general networking advice but:

Here is a helpful link:

And another

OP
Derrick
Reaction score
AFAIK, there are no UserNames involved with networking Mac/Pcs, but you need to know the name of the respective computers or the workgroup names (I'm not sure if they are one and the same). The Password is whatever you have set up for each account on the machines in question.

I'm not sure if you need general networking advice but:

Here is a helpful link:

And another

Well, that is pretty close to what I want to accomplish. I was hoping to set up a user/pass without having to user/pass each of my user accounts.

Thanks

Derrick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.