Networking and Logic with Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've got a 2014 MBP 2.5gHZ. I use Logic Pro X quite a lot and I've just bought a Thunderbolt display which I've been using to double up my displays to maximise my workflow.

I've been thinking about a Mac Mini so that i can do more mobile recording with the MBP and more static stuff and the mixing stage on the Mac mini.

My questions are;

- At work I am connected to a network (PC) and whichever computer I put my credentials into I have the exact same information instantly on any computer. What would the best way be to set this up at home with the MBP and Mac Mini? Is there a way to do this by setting up a server on one of my Macs so I don't have to buy anything else? I'd prefer not to use a dropbox type thing. I'd prefer it to be like 'record a track on Logic on the MBP, open the Mac Mini, open Logic, continue working on the same track, with the same information.'

- Will the Mac mini dual-core i5 2.8GHz be capable of running Logic to a high standard? I guess I will be doing all the bounces and mixes on the Mac Mini, so a good hard drive speed is essential. Is the Fusion drive comparable to a good SSD?

- Am I able to connect my MBP to the Mini to use as an external monitor along with my Thunderbolt Display? Would it be able to handle two displays?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Minis are very comparable to MBPros. So the performance comparison will be based on processor speed and amount of RAM.
The mini can handle two monitors, and is supposed to be able to use another Mac as an "Airplay mirror." But I don't think that is what you want - don't you want to increase desktop space, not mirror (duplicate display) it?
Fusion drive is "nearly" the same speed as an SSD plus hard drive.

Macs have simple-to-use file sharing which will allow you to work on two computers on your home network.
(I don't use Logic Pro)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for the reply.

So can I set a shared folder between both machines so that Logic will always save to that folder?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

So can I set a shared folder between both machines so that Logic will always save to that folder?

Thanks.

Yes, you can. I do a lot of video editing using Premiere Pro and I share drives between a Windows 7 editor and my Mac Pro. I share the drives using smb and it works perfectly.

I will say I sometimes have to reconnect the share drives when the mac pro goes to sleep. I suggest before you start working to check in Finder to make sure they are still showing up.

As far as the app/program knowing where to save or find files on the other computer, that should not be a problem. Once the links are established the app/programs will keep the link or warn you if it can not find it.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Thanks.

Simple, elegant solution. Why didn't I think of that the first time I read this thread?

OP
P
Reaction score
That's great. So, that way, if one of the machines were to fail, I'd have a backup on the other, providing I'd have accessed that folder at some point on the other one? Or would one have to be the host?

I'm getting the 5K Retina now in any case. It's via a work scheme at work and the options are somewhat limited albeit very affordable and tax exempt, and I'm not sure the Mac Mini will really work with the processor options available and lack of upgradability.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's great. So, that way, if one of the machines were to fail, I'd have a backup on the other, providing I'd have accessed that folder at some point on the other one? Or would one have to be the host?

If I'm understanding you correctly that might not necessarily be the case.It would depend on where the shared folder is located. Let's assume the shared folder is actually a folder on your main machine. If the drive in that machine were to fail and there were no backup then the data would be lost. Even though the second machine is aware of that location the location no longer exists.

If the shared folder were stored on the network somewhere that would not be an issue. as long as the network is working properly the share would be available even if one of the machines went down.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong guys.I don't use shared folders much now with just one machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
So, that way, if one of the machines were to fail, I'd have a backup on the other, providing I'd have accessed that folder at some point on the other one?

The way I'd do that -
Have a shared folder on the mini (or whatever server).
Mount the shared folder on MBPro whenever you're on your home network.
Create a special work folder on the MBPro, and make a "folder action" script for that folder, so that any file saved there gets copied to the "server's shared folder."

How to make a folder action:
http://www.macissues.com/2014/07/16/how-to-set-up-and-use-folder-actions-on-your-mac/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.