Network Nightmare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7,1 and 8,1
I have a fresh install of El Capitan on a 2007 A1224 iMac. All works but I cannot network with my Windows 10 machines for love or money.
The Win machines are visible in Finder, I go to Connect with Server with the correct IP address (i.e. smb://192.168.x.xxx) and then I am asked for a Registered User name and password. Which name is to be used - my Mac name, Windows email name , I have tried every name I have ever used on either machines?. The same with Password - which one - I have no general MS account password and again I have tried all combinations?
VERY frustrating! I would appreciate help as I am a newbie with Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Usually, you need to put the Windows user name and password in those boxes.

Did you set up both the macOS & winOS for sharing?

OP
Procrastinus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7,1 and 8,1
Thanks for your reply
That worked well for the machine that has a password to enter, but did not work on the other which does not have a password to enter. Leaving the password section blank also did not work.
The iMac is new to the household and the Windows network was already up and running.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Macs don't allow you to connect without a password over SMB. You might have better luck with NFS. The other option is to use a password on the Windows machines and then save the password on the keychain in the iMac to not have to enter it each time.

OP
Procrastinus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7,1 and 8,1
Thanks Raz0rEdge for your reply. The NFS solution did not work, but creating a password in the Windows machine did!I
i did not realise that passwords were essential for SMB to connect

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since SMB is a Microsoft created protocol, it behaves a little differently between Windows and other OS'. Linux/Mac tend to require credentials while Windows seems to allow you to go without passwords and rely on other settings.

NFS is generic network solution supported by all 3 OS' which provides the ability to connect without passwords when setup appropriately.

Finally, AFP is Apple's protocol which likely works best on Macs than Windows or Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.