• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Neither Finder NIR QTP recognized attached camera

Reaction score
I have some old but perfectly playing tapes in Sony DCR TRV-510 that I am trying to archive and work in programs like FCPX.

While FCPX recognizes the camera, while capturing data, it says there is no data on the Sony, though it plays the tape nicely.

Normally I use QTP to do this function, to be later edited and refined in FCPX.

But today, even though the camera is connected by FireWire, neither Finder/ Desktop nor QTP see the camera.

What am I doing wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Just a guess here on my part..... But is there any software for the Sony that can be installed on your Mac? Generally, Sony cameras are very proprietary and need software to work properly with macOS.

Also, as a shot in the dark, try using Image Capture to recognize the Sony.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, are you sure the Firewire cable is good? Any other Firewire gear that you can use to test the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
On my Sony camcorder, there is a setting for VCR or Camera, are you using the VCR setting to transfer the video?

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Just a guess here on my part..... But is there any software for the Sony that can be installed on your Mac? Generally, Sony cameras are very proprietary and need software to work properly with macOS.

Also, as a shot in the dark, try using Image Capture to recognize the Sony.

Unfortunately this DCR TRV510 is not on the list of approved devices for fcpx . Also Sony has no update on older models like this.

As of now, I am making a backup of this on a DVD using a Sanyo dubbing machine, hoping to somehow import it all into the editing timeline. Experiments will have to continue!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As of now, I am making a backup of this on a DVD using a Sanyo dubbing machine, hoping to somehow import it all into the editing timeline. Experiments will have to continue!
if you can get the footage copied onto a DVD the rest is relatively easy.

There are numerous programs that can convert the footage from DVD format to something that can be edited in Final Cut Pro. I use Handbrake for this but there are numerous other available both free and paid in the App Store. Final Cut Pro can read these audio and video formats.

Perhaps someone els van company on the best format to use although mp4 is widely supported by s variety of programs.

Edit: If you run into problems post back and I'll try to help more.

Edit 2: iMany of these converter programs have presets for Apple devices. Almost any of those presets would work got creating a DVD but as a general rule higher resolutions would be better.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
if you can get the footage copied onto a DVD the rest is relatively easy.

There are numerous programs that can convert the footage from DVD format to something that can be edited in Final Cut Pro. I use Handbrake for this but there are numerous other available both free and paid in the App Store. Final Cut Pro can read these audio and video formats.

Perhaps someone els van company on the best format to use although mp4 is widely supported by s variety of programs.

Edit: If you run into problems post back and I'll try to help more.

Edit 2: iMany of these converter programs have presets for Apple devices. Almost any of those presets would work got creating a DVD but as a general rule higher resolutions would be better.

Now that I have a DVD of the tape, I need to insert appropriate chapter headings. I also need to enhance the audio.

I plan to use Audacity for the audio improvement. What do you suggest for adding chapter headings to this finished DVD?

Thanks for your time!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use Toast Titanium for this (and other things) but I'm a version or two behind at the moment and can't justify the upgrade cost given how little I use it. I used to swear by Toast but now I often swear at it.

Older versions of QuickTime Pro did this quite easily but I don't think the current version of QuickTime Player X does chapter markings but I might be wrong.

I haven't tried it personally but you might give a program called Subler a try. It's primarily used for subtitle creation on DVDs but apparently does chapter marking as well. More info/directions here.

Edit: If you are on Catalina as your OS I haven't checked to see if Subler is a 64-bit or 32-bit program. If it doesn't work for you post knack and I'll look for alternatives.

Final Cut Pro does chapter markers but it's a bit pricey unless you need other features. I don't remember about iMovie. I'll check that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
What do you suggest for adding chapter headings to this finished DVD?
You can't add the Chapters to the finished DVD. You ned to add them to the video file before you burn the DVD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good catch MightyGem. I didn't even think t mention that earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.