need to update my macbook - but which one??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13” early 2015 -iPhone 13 Max Pro - iPad Pro
I've got a macbook purchased in 4/2008 - I tried to update to the newest OS & it telling me no go on my mb
here's what I've got Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

State: Enabled

I added the extra 2gb of memory a couple of years ago & running snow leopard - my mb works great for what I use it for - email, web surfing, photos, playing DVD's - I do use it for online banking ect... from what I've read it sounds like Apple is no longer going to offer security support for 10.6.8 - that bothers me since I do online banking bill paying :Lips-Are-Sealed:

I think I'll need to update my laptop but would like one that will be able to take me another 7+ years - hope to retire soon; don't want to have to think about updating again in the next 2-3 yrs. I've been trying to compare the MacBook Air & MacBook Pro13" - I've been reading some of the threads here; may have gotten some things twisted but I think with the Air I'd have to get an adapter to use standard USB connections - ipad, ipods, iphone - not jazzed about having to get additional add ons. Also, I think I like the idea of having a HDMI connection on the MB Pro, hoping to cut cable & be able to connect the laptop to the TV (am I understanding that will work to use for example the HBO app to be able to watch it on my TV?) Also, looks like both models have eliminated the CD/DVD player - so I'd have to purchase an external driver?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated + 8gb or 16gb - what size processor ect.. that would carry it over for any future system updates? I'd like to keep the total all-in cost including apple care under $2K
Thanking you in advance!
Georgia

C

chas_m

I've got a macbook purchased in 4/2008 - I tried to update to the newest OS & it telling me no go on my mb

That's correct. You have a white plastic MacBook, and they are not compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan. The late 2008 (aluminum) MacBook is compatible but not the one you have. It's time to replace with at least something newer, if not brand new.

I added the extra 2gb of memory a couple of years ago & running snow leopard - my mb works great for what I use it for - email, web surfing, photos, playing DVD's - I do use it for online banking ect... from what I've read it sounds like Apple is no longer going to offer security support for 10.6.8 - that bothers me since I do online banking bill paying

Snow Leopard stopped getting security updates over a year ago if I'm not mistaken, so you've been at risk for some time (though I don't mean to frighten you ... if your bank is using https, then you should be okay, but I certainly would not do any sort of secure anything on an open network or anything like that).

I think I'll need to update my laptop but would like one that will be able to take me another 7+ years - hope to retire soon; don't want to have to think about updating again in the next 2-3 yrs.

Given your usage, there is no MacBook or Pro or Air you could possibly buy that would need upgrading in 2-3 years. Typical Mac life is about five years for official support at some level. This coincides nicely with **most** people's desire to move on either due to changing web technologies, changing interests or emphasis in how they use the computer (for example getting in to gaming when you weren't when you bought the machine), or changes in software/hardware that are compelling enough to warrant the change (for example, after resisting SSDs for years due to price, they've come down and so now I can't imagine life without them!).

I've been trying to compare the MacBook Air & MacBook Pro13" - I've been reading some of the threads here; may have gotten some things twisted but I think with the Air I'd have to get an adapter to use standard USB connections

No, that is incorrect. The MacBook Air is a lightweight computer that -- at least for the time being -- uses standard USB ports, and has two of them. You're thinking of the Retina MacBook (12-inch), which has a single USB-C connector that would likely need adapters to use with "traditional" USB stuff.

Also, I think I like the idea of having a HDMI connection on the MB Pro, hoping to cut cable & be able to connect the laptop to the TV (am I understanding that will work to use for example the HBO app to be able to watch it on my TV?) Also, looks like both models have eliminated the CD/DVD player - so I'd have to purchase an external driver?

1. There's no HDMI port on the MacBook Pro. The Thunderbolt port on the Air and MBPro can be used with HDMI (or any other video connector) through the use of an adapter. The Mac mini has a native HDMI port on it, since some people like to hook it directly to an HDTV for their monitor.

2. While every Mac model can be connected to an HDTV through an adapter (or as mentioned above if it has an HDMI port), another option is to connect it wirelessly through an Apple TV (if you're considering cutting cable, this seems like a good option for you). The Apple TV offers *some* services (yes, including HBO and many more), but it wouldn't be accurate to say that it can fully replace everything one gets with cable. Some of the options available on the Apple TV require a subscription that can be down without a cable TV connection (such as HBO) but you still need a high-speed (preferably VERY high-speed) Internet connection of some sort. The Apple TV can also just "mirror" your iPhone, iPad, or Mac (whichever model), so you can use the TV as a monitor, all wirelessly.

I don't watch a lot of TV so I cut my cable subscription years ago, but I use the same company for just high-speed Internet. I still have a DVD player however and so I do still watch some "TV" that way, or through podcasts (usually a day after broadcast), and one can of course sign up for Netflix or Hulu and so on. Lots of options, but you do miss out on some things a cable subscription offers you. I'm way behind on "Mad Men" for example. :)

3. Not much use for a CD/DVD player/burner in computers these days -- I replaced mine in my MacBook Pro with a second SSD -- but if you need one, you can buy an external one pretty cheaply (a Blu-ray one, less cheaply and less well-supported, but doable).

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated + 8gb or 16gb - what size processor ect.. that would carry it over for any future system updates? I'd like to keep the total all-in cost including apple care under $2K

As others have said around here, the first decision is whether you really need it to be portable or not. If you do, then you have three options: Retina MacBook, Retina MacBook Pro, or (currently non-Retina) MacBook Air (there is also a non-Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro option, but it essentially the same machine Apple have been selling since 2012. Now I have one of these so I'm biased, but I think buyers these days would want the Retina -- it's gorgeous!).

Based on your post, I'd be inclined to suggest the MacBook Air. You will want the best one your budget allows for, since it is mostly non-upgradeable after purchase. Ditto for the Retina MacBook Pros and the Retina MacBook. For maximum life expectancy, max it out on storage and RAM, because there won't be any other upgrades you can do later. The best one you can possibly buy at present costs $1,300 (utterly maxed out on processor, storage and RAM, $1,750). Despite the lack of a Retina screen (which may not be as important to you since you sound like you will mostly be looking at it through the HDTV), I think it's a great personal computer that can handle all but the most demanding apps one could possibly throw at it, and it's just crazy fast.

If there's an Apple Store near you, drop by and ask them to show you around the MacBook options. All of them are thin, but the Air and the Retina MacBook are "you gotta be kidding me" thin, especially the new Retina MacBook. You'll be able to compare the screen quality, ask questions, and generally kick the tires. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

... from what I've read it sounds like Apple is no longer going to offer security support for 10.6.8 - that bothers me since I do online banking bill paying :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Yes…probably a good idea to upgrade the OS (or purchase a newer computer). And yes…your 2008 MacBook is not able to run the latest OS version (El Capitan, OS 10.11). Maximum OS on your MacBook is OS 10.7.5 (Lion). In theory you could upgrade to OS 10.7.5 (about a $20 purchase)…but this OS version is getting pretty old as well.

So in the long run (or maybe even in the short run)…getting a newer computer is probably the best idea.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey Chas
thanks so much for the info! Good thing that I only use my mb in the house, as I didn't know Apple had stopped supporting 10.6.8 over a year ago, yikes!
Do I understand correctly that with these newer macs that you can't buy or add additional memory after the fact? I've also been looking at Apple's refurb macbooks pro w/retina-( I do think I'd like to have retina screen as I do watch online videos - online watercolor classes from an artist in BC :) + digital downloads)
yes, I have an Apple store in my area; plan on going in to touch/feel but wanted to be a bit prepared first as it's like visiting Nirvana with all of the bright shiny expensive toys!
Keeping the thought of getting the most bang for the bucks - looking at the refurb options yesterday there was a mbp w/retina from Mar 2015 with 16gb & I don't remember the rest of it but it's not there today - so looking at the new options for the same mbp w/retina
Summary
13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Force Touch trackpad

thanks so much for your guidance & input!
Georgia

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey Nick; thanks! I think you're right; time to look for a new laptop :)

C

chas_m

Do I understand correctly that with these newer macs that you can't buy or add additional memory after the fact?

Yes, as mentioned, all the Retina MacBooks (Air, Pro, or MacBook) have non-alterable RAM. I must correct my previous post regarding storage; apparently OWC offers upgrades for the ssd-based storage in current Retina and Air portables up to 1TB SSD (though it says "coming Fall 2015" on the pages for these, so it might not yet be available).

Yes, I have an Apple store in my area; plan on going in to touch/feel but wanted to be a bit prepared first as it's like visiting Nirvana with all of the bright shiny expensive toys!

Yes, keep a firm grip on your wallet!

Keeping the thought of getting the most bang for the bucks - looking at the refurb options yesterday there was a mbp w/retina from Mar 2015 with 16gb & I don't remember the rest of it but it's not there today - so looking at the new options for the same mbp w/retina

Refurb machines are not the latest, and good deals go fast, but they are generally flawless and come with a full warranty and the opportunity to buy AppleCare, so you can save some bucks and get something "like new."

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey Chas
I visited my local Apple store; it's wasn't as productive as I had hope - the guy who helped me was more of a "order taker" than asking real open/ended questions to show me possible options. I've not been in the Apple store in several years; I think they might have taken on in a different approach to sales/customer service. They've discontinued offering the one-on-one service which I had used with my first mb; they were very helpful in working with me, it's was an enjoyable experience. So, if I want help with transferring over my current mb to the new one it's $99 - I'm not sure about getting my stuff over - I'm assuming if I back up on my external hard drive then I can "upload/import" over to the new laptop? I probably know just enough to really screw things up :(
I did put my hands on the 13" mbp w/retina - it felt just like my current mb maybe a little thinner in size. So, do I understand correctly in your comments that I can upgrade the ssd after-the-fact down the road if needed? If that's the case, then I think I'd get the 16gb with 256 ssd mbp w/retina 13" - also, I think I'll order from macmall to save a little $$
thanks for your input!
Georgia

C

chas_m

At present, there doesn't seem to be a method for upgrading the storage on current-model Retina MacBook Pros -- this could change in the future, as the drive is said to be removable, but at present, no upgrade options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 14" M3 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro, MacPro 2009
1. There's no HDMI port on the MacBook Pro. The Thunderbolt port on the Air and MBPro can be used with HDMI (or any other video connector) through the use of an adapter. The Mac mini has a native HDMI port on it, since some people like to hook it directly to an HDTV for their monitor.

Just to add my 2¢, the MacBook Pro w/Retina actually does have a HDMI port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a shame Apple are making all models less user upgradeable, but that is the way of the future with all brands.

An interesting bit of info from Apple's Annual Report a year or two ago. Over 95% of all buyers never upgrade the hardware of their Macs being content with what they purchased until it is time to buy a new model. That makes us guys (and guyesses) here in the 5%, in the main. Whilst I have done less to my iMac, in Mac Pro and G5/4 days hardly ever had the side doors closed modifying this and that!

C

chas_m

It's worth noting that the repair rate for Macs has gone down dramatically since those "sealed" ones started appearing. Your chances of needing a repair during the typical useful life of the machine are incredibly tiny, but the downside is that if you DO need one, it needs to be done by a pro. I'm not in a position to know if this is a net gain for consumers, it seems like it is unless you're the one with the issue :), but my impression is that it was a path that was sort of mandated by the exploding popularity of Apple devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right on the mark chas. And that's why I strongly recommend purchasing extended Apple Care; it's a must for the newer machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I also had the 2008 white Macbook. Just purchased the 13" Macbook Pro retina. You are correct about the much thinner profile and lack of "squareness." That was the most difficult feature for me to adapt to. But since I have purchased it I haven't picked up my old Macbook. Oh and the silver color--would prefer choices but in the end that really does not matter I suppose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.