Need to rebuild an inherited MacBook at work

Reaction score
1) I have the serial number which is great as it gives me the year it was built and hardware specs, but how do I know which version of OS X it should run?

2) New laptops ship with a recovery partition, I'm willing to bet this didn't (based on the serial its an older MacBook circa 2008), is there an easy way to find out or obtain a copy of whichever version of the OS it should be running?

As I said I was asked to rebuild this laptop for a new employee, there is no software and since I'm new here I have no idea who originally built it, etc.

Reaction score
Unless it's the aluminum one you're stuck at 10.7.5
Go to Macupdate.com and look for Mactracker. Tells you everything.

OP
X
Reaction score
Unless it's the aluminum one you're stuck at 10.7.5
Go to Macupdate.com and look for Mactracker. Tells you everything.

Actually it is the aluminum one, but thanks very much for the link!

Reaction score
Ah, then you should be good to Mavericks.

OP
X
Reaction score
So I want to rebuild/format this old Mac Book

It has a recovery partition, however I don't know how to get all the serials. Basically I was given an old Mac Book here at work with no software, license keys, or anything else. After resetting a password and creating an account for myself I can see that it has some stuff installed, mainly Office 2011 which I want on the new clean install.

After installing Mac Product Key Finder it only finds the key for Office 2008, and 2 other pieces of software which probably aren't even important.

Any guess as to how I retain the key for Office 2011, and maybe install media? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged…same "MacBook Rebuild" project.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has a recovery partition, however I don't know how to get all the serials. Basically I was given an old Mac Book here at work with no software, license keys, or anything else. After resetting a password and creating an account for myself I can see that it has some stuff installed, mainly Office 2011 which I want on the new clean install.

After installing Mac Product Key Finder it only finds the key for Office 2008, and 2 other pieces of software which probably aren't even important.

Any guess as to how I retain the key for Office 2011, and maybe install media? :D

We cannot & will not help you find serial numbers for applications you did not purchase. If you need these apps…purchase them legally!

- Nick

OP
X
Reaction score
We cannot & will not help you find serial numbers for applications you did not purchase. If you need these apps…purchase them legally!

- Nick

IT WAS PURCHASED LEGALLY!!!

The machine in question was left behind by a former employee no longer with the company, he left no physical media for the device.

It is currently running with a LEGALLY PURCHASED AND ACTIVATED copy of Office 2011 (and 2008 for that matter LOL). The problem is I want to format and rebuild it, but want to recover the 2011 key FIRST SO I CAN REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON THE SAME MACHINE FOR WHICH THE PRODUCT IS LEGALLY PURCHASED AND LICENSED ON

Hopefully I clarified my question

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IT WAS PURCHASED LEGALLY!!!

If this is a company computer…and it is being "rebuilt" to be given to another employee…and Microsoft Office 2011 was purchased legally…then your employer should have records of what was purchased (and the serial numbers involved).

If this information was not properly collected & stored properly from the previous user of this computer..we still cannot help you.

If this software was purchased legally & properly registered with Microsoft…then contact Microsoft regarding the serial number. Contacting Microsoft is your best bet in this situation.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.