Need tips for 2009 MacBook just purchased

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 White MB 2.13 Ghz 3GB RAM 10.10 Yosemite
Hey all. Just got a 2009 MacBook off the wonderful CraigsList to start application development! I haven't used a mac in YEARS and am really enjoying it so far. The iPhone integration is amazing.

Any tips/tricks for making it run a bit smoother/faster while on Yosemite? I'm currently sitting on 3 GB RAM, and would like to upgrade to 6, but DDR2 RAM is stupid expensive now, so I might be at a loss.

Any tips/tricks are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Hanslow

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I edited your title so that it makes sense and get you some replies. Stay tuned to our forums and read as much as you can. Lots of tips and help! ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before you purchase tons of third-party software for that shiny new rig check out the software that is already installed. It may do whatever you're trying to do. Unlike the software on many PC boxes the software on your Mac can be quite useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hey all. Just got a 2009 MacBook off the wonderful CraigsList to start application development! I haven't used a mac in YEARS and am really enjoying it so far. The iPhone integration is amazing.

Any tips/tricks for making it run a bit smoother/faster while on Yosemite? I'm currently sitting on 3 GB RAM, and would like to upgrade to 6, but DDR2 RAM is stupid expensive now, so I might be at a loss.

Hi Hanslow - welcome aboard! :) You'll have to help us first, i.e. provide some more information about your computer: 1) Exactly what model do you have? (heck HERE for some guidance); 2) Are you on Yosemite; and 3) What is your HD size and how much is free? Also, if you are on Yosemite on a 5 y/o computer, extra RAM is a definite recommendation. Dave

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running a MacBook 5.2
Running Yosemite

I figured RAM was a definite upgrade. How much RAM can it actually support? I've seen 4 and 6 GB floated around. Which case, I need to find a 4GB stick that isn't RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

160GB HDD. 50 GB Free.

Already Installed upon purchase of the macbook: Adobe Suite CS5, Microsoft Office Suite, Final Cut Pro, Pages/Numbers/Keynote.

C

chas_m

About that pre-installed software you mentioned: none of it is legal, I'm afraid, unless you also received the original DVDs and a letter of transfer for the software. Adobe isn't supporting CS5 anymore, Microsoft will probably report you if you try to get support from them, Apple ditto, and you'll never be able to upgrade any of those programs of course since you don't own them.

The good news is that Pages/Numbers/Keynote can be purchased for cheap. FCP is super-cheap for what it does, but it costs $300.

Now, about that model: there are two models that fit the scant description you've given us (look over to your left under my name to see what kind of a description we were actually looking for, and add yours to your profile for future reference): a 2.0 GHz white MacBook, or a 2.13GHz white MacBook. They're quite similar but a little different. It would be helpful to know exactly which one it is.

In either case, you can max out the RAM to 6GB, and I would **strongly** recommend you do so at your first convenience, as between the very weak graphics subsystem in these models and the low RAM you have, Yosemite is going to run rather poorly.

I'd also suggest that you're going to want to get either an external drive or upgrade the internal boot drive (fortunately, very easy to do) asap, as you're going to run out of HD space very quickly with a mere 160GB drive. You might consider (when finances allow) upgrading to a 256GB or larger SSD, and this will be far faster and make the machine perform (along with the RAM upgrade) more comparably to recent machines.

I'm not sure where you're looking for RAM prices, but Amazon in the US would suggest that 4GB module should cost you about $35:

Amazon.com: 4Gb 1066Mhz Ddr3

and the single 2GB chip you'll also need to max out the RAM costs around $22:

Amazon.com: 2Gb 1066Mhz Ddr3

This doesn't seem pricey to me.

Bear in mind that this machine is almost six years old now, and will perform like it (barring the addition of an SSD and maxing out the RAM). I'm glad you're off to a good start with it, but I hope you are successful enough to move up to a more recent model soon.

Reaction score
Honestly i agree.

I would never use software that is preinstalled without disks the software is most likely counterfeit or cracked versions that can get you arrested if you use them.

I would however format and restart the machine to factory condition.

Also i would go to a Apple store and have them check the serial numbers because guess what it might be a stolen laptop as well.

I never buy a laptop on theft list (oop's i mean craigslist)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually already checked everything out before purchasing. All copies of Adobe CS5, and Office Suite are legit copies. This was a university student computer, and I verified before purchasing that it was not a stolen item. I did my research.

Everything I have read about upgrading RAM has stated that DDR2 ram is needed, not DDR3. So that is where my issue is.

It is the 2.13 Ghz Model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You are correct about which memory your 2009 MacBook takes:

Below from Mactracker for the Mid 2009 2.13 GHZ model:

Maximum Memory 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Only the late 2009 MacBook takes DDR3 memory. And DDR2 memory is expensive if you can find it. I'm not sure Mac Sales still stocks it, however, Crucial does.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I actually already checked everything out before purchasing. All copies of Adobe CS5, and Office Suite are legit copies. This was a university student computer, and I verified before purchasing that it was not a stolen item. I did my research.

Glad that you checked to make sure the hardware was not stolen but that does not necessarily address the software issue. University computers, even those loaned/given to students, will often have fully licensed software installed. That software is usually only legit if it is being used by someone associated with the university in question.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im currently reinstalling Yosemite from scratch. I already have pages/numbers/keynote from my iPhone so I assume I can just sync them from there, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Im currently reinstalling Yosemite from scratch. I already have pages/numbers/keynote from my iPhone so I assume I can just sync them from there, correct?

Well, not correct. Yosemite is OS 10.10.1 now which is for iMacs (whether a desktop or laptop). Apple's iDevices use iOS (currently 8.1.2) - you will have to visit the App store (i.e. the icon on your laptop) and obtained the OS X versions of those iWork apps - sorry. Dave :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, not correct. Yosemite is OS 10.10.1 now which is for iMacs (whether a desktop or laptop). Apple's iDevices use iOS (currently 8.1.2) - you will have to visit the App store (i.e. the icon on your laptop) and obtained the OS X versions of those iWork apps - sorry. Dave :)

Ah yeah, that what I was afraid of. Ah well.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the wipe is complete. I have a lead on a couple 4GB Sticks of RAM for next to nothing. Will hopefully come through!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I will say that the Mac is running MUCH better since the reformat. Nothing clogging up the back end processes I don't know about anymore. :)

Pages/Numbers/Keynote downloading from the App Store, as well as Xcode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.