Need Time Machine Restore/HD Replacement Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I bought a 500gb 7200 RPM drive yesterday ($75 after rebate at CompUSA). Last night I allowed TM to do a final backup, turned my MBP off and installed the new drive. Inserted the OS X disk and selected restore from TM backup. Let it run overnight. This morning it boots to the new drive and Finder shows everything in place but I cannot start any of my applications, either from Finder or the dock. I double click them, and nothing happens. Quicklook also isn't working. I get a blank grey window when I hit the spacebar to preview a doc.

I allowed Spotlight to reindex the HD, and repaired permissions via Disk Utility.

Any ideas besides buying an enclosure, putting the old drive back in and cloning it? I'm a fan of the concept of TM, so I'd like to see it come through for me in this case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
First mistake IMHO was using the Time Machine, use Carbon copy cloner, its free and will make a bootable HDD clone. As for your issue, Time Machine must've broken something. You using Snow Leopard?

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You using Snow Leopard?

Yes.

I used Migration Assistant once before to change to a new MBP. I was impressed with it. Thinking I might try a clean install of SL and then try using Migration Assistant to restore from TM.

Fortunately, I have the safety net of being able to put the old drive back in at the end of the day, so I'm not really screwed. But I'd like to find a solution to restore my faith in TM and also for the benefit of others.

Any other ideas, since the idea mentioned above will take half a day to complete?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... Thinking I might try a clean install of SL and then try using Migration Assistant to restore from TM.

That'd be my next thought. I think what you did first should have worked though.

Although I have a TM backup, have not used it to restore a system because I also keep a SD! backup.

If you've a FW external, it only takes me an hour or less to create a bootable clone with SD! and 100GB of data to move. Don't know if CCC is that fast or not and am pretty sure from what I've read that a TM restore is not.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solved the problem, though I'm not sure how. I inserted my SL update disc and attempted a fresh install. OS X seemed to be reinstalling, however, an hour later when it restarted, all my apps and settings were still there--and everything worked.

For anyone who upgraded from Leopard to SL, I would recommend starting over with a fresh TM backup even though Apple says it isn't necessary. I'm guessing there was an issue as a result of the SL update midway though my TM backup.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad to see it worked out. Sounds like some glitch in the first install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.