Need some advice for a new iMac.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I am looking at purchasing my daughter a new iMac, and I don't have a massive budget, so I want to ensure what I get will actually do the job.

SO.... This is what she wants to do. Mainly school work etc etc. She watches movies, and does some minor video stuff for online etc. Nothing crazy. BUT... what she wants to do is some gaming. Again, not hardcore, but she wants to run Windows (argh) to be able to play some online stuff like PUBG and the like. I am loathed to buy her a dedicated Widows box, so iMac it is.

The one that I am looking at that is within my budget is the 3.0GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.5Hz) Here are the stats...

3.0GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
8GB of 2400MHz memory, configurable to 16GB
1TB hard drive1
Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of video memory
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
4096-by-2304 P3 Retina 4K display

So, any advice here? Just need to to know that my 2 grand will actually do what she wants - to a degree.

Cheers
J

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I assume this is the 21.5" iMac in which case the RAM isn't user upgradable unlike the 27" which allows you to do that. You can install Windows on the Mac through Boot Camp for all your gaming needs and the Mac itself will do all that your daughter expects to do with it based on what you've stated.

My only recommendation is going to 16GB of memory to cover current and future use cases. The downside of the 21.5" is that you'll have to include the upgrade in the purchase price (and pay Apple pricing) right now as opposed to the 27" where you can do the upgrade later on. However, the 27" has a bigger price tag as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I dare say, especially when one doesn't have a massive budget that a new iMac may be overkill when there are some good buys on some good older iMacs, but then again, I don't know what iMac model she's currently using is if she already has one.

Just a thought… ;D

EDIT: Personally I'd check on the performance of any iMac using the 5400 RPM HDDs and I think I'd avoid them if I could afford to.

And my decisions may change depending on the age of the daughter and how long she may be using that "new" iMac.

So nothing really definitive from my end… sorry…

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You might also look at the Apple refurbished iMacs. There is about a 12-15% savings, with the machine refurbed by Apple and with a full Apple warranty. The inventory of what is available changes daily, here is the link:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 21.5" iMac 1TB platter drive is a 5400rpm notebook style hard drive and is s slow as molasses. Go for say a 512GB SSD and 16GB of memory if you want decent performance.

Suggest strongly at least considering a 27" model as memory can be user upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Whichever model you decide, try not to get one with a Fusion drive, because they do not play well, when using Boot Camp to load winOS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Whichever model you decide, try not to get one with a Fusion drive, because they do not play well, when using Boot Camp to load winOS.

Oh really!! Can you provide some more info here? Bootcamp will most likely be used.

OP
T
Reaction score
You might also look at the Apple refurbished iMacs. There is about a 12-15% savings, with the machine refurbed by Apple and with a full Apple warranty. The inventory of what is available changes daily, here is the link:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.

I had considered the Refurbs - and saw this one today... https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...uad-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-5K-display

EDIT - Scratch that link - I am in Australia. LOL! :)

I gather the HDD could also be swapped out for generic SSD if need be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes but not by a user I would suggest. This would void the 12 month warranty that comes with Apple Refurb models. I would rather wait for one with a built in SSD or Blade Drive.

No refurb iMacs Down Under as Apple sells them direct to Resellers as the demand is so high. For example a 2014 model i5 non Retina still brings two grand plus shipping! eBay and Gumtree are as dear as dealers. Importing is out of the question. No warranty only in the country of purchase, over AUD$1000 attrracts 15% GST and Import tax combined, plus you would need a shipping agent to arrange insurqance and import, another $300. If you are in Sydney PM me as I have dealt with a Resller in Nort Sydney who offers 3 months warranty on his used Macs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think I would rather stump up the few extra hundred and go new rather than refurb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

I think I would rather stump up the few extra hundred and go new rather than refurb.

OK, but why not just "stump up the few extra hundred" on an Apple Refurbished iMac and end up getting a better model, and their Refurbished models are as good if not better than what you call "new".

A very highly recommended way to purchase a new Mac.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, but why not just "stump up the few extra hundred" on an Apple Refurbished iMac and end up getting a better model, and their Refurbished models are as good if not better than what you call "new".

@Patrick:

I guess you missed Harry's reply to the OP. No refurbed iMacs are available from Apple in Australia. He's better off purchasing new in that case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick:

I guess you missed Harry's reply to the OP. No refurbed iMacs are available from Apple in Australia. He's better off purchasing new in that case.

Opps, :Oops: yes I did miss that thanks Charlie.

It's a wonder Australia has any Mac users with those prices and conditions and it would be nice if Apple would change the situation.

It's almost as bad for those in the Northern areas of Canada and my eldest son is the Apple authorized dealer/service center for the whole of the Yukon and a lot of the NW Territories. They nor users don't get any breaks on prices or shipping either. :(

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Opps, :Oops: yes I did miss that thanks Charlie.

It's a wonder Australia has any Mac users with those prices and conditions and it would be nice if Apple would change the situation.

It's almost as bad for those in the Northern areas of Canada and my eldest son is the Apple authorized dealer/service center for the whole of the Yukon and a lot of the NW Territories. They nor users don't get any breaks on prices or shipping either. :(

- Patrick
======
I can't see that as an issue with Apple, but more as an issue with location? I would assume it affects any and all products the same.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Dont forget the price of Windows 10. I did exactly this process in Australia a year ago and had to ring MS Support twice to iron out licensing issues with the Boot Camp installation. They were very helpful though and pretty much walked me through it but the process of creating and account and obtaining a license key is a long one.
Mind you I bought the online product (Windows 10) it may be easier if you buy a hard copy but that would require a DVD drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mind you I bought the online product (Windows 10) it may be easier if you buy a hard copy but that would require a DVD drive.

Nowadays it's actually a lot easier to buy the on line version and in most places here in the US, it's less expensive than the disc package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.