• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Need Partitioning advice....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
I apologize if my questions are elementary. I am fairly new to this. Okay, I have a dual 1.25 g4/w 80 g hd. I have just installed an additional 160 gig drive. Now, I understand that it's popular to make partitions for each operating system. I have panther and 9.2. my question is would I create a partition for these systems on the 80gig oem drive since it's the "master" drive? Should I copy everything to my new HD, make 3 partitions on the 80 and move it all back, and if so, how would I go about doing that? Actually, I only have like 4 gig available on the 80 drive, so I need to move some things over to the new one. I'm just a little confused on how to navigate this process. Also, are there any suggestions on how I should partition the new 160 drive? I've done a little video and a lot of photography if that matters. TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
leave the old drive as it is and use the new drive as a home space for new files, this is the easiest method as it doesnt involve re-installing an operating systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
does this sound good....If I partition my new drive half for my media files(music,pictures,video, etc...) and the other half for whatever? Afterall, it's the media files that are taking up 50 gig of space on my primary drive. Would this be a logical approach? Also, isnt there an advantage to having a partition for the OS? TIA