Need new hard drive for iMac DV G3

B

bruceg

I took my iMac to the Apple store to be looked at and they advised me that my hard drive was toast. Can anyone reccomend a good place to get a new hard drive for an iMac G3 and what brand to get? Also, are they pretty easy to install yourself?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Gilbert

OP
C

Chamorro

Look for Western Digital, and Hitachi/IBM drives (whichever are being rebated at CompUSA or online like newegg.com), as large a cache as possible. Make sure your computer can address the full HD (i.e. ATA 66 wont recognize over 138GB).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Chamorro said:
Look for Western Digital, and Hitachi/IBM drives (whichever are being rebated at CompUSA or online like newegg.com), as large a cache as possible. Make sure your computer can address the full HD (i.e. ATA 66 wont recognize over 138GB).

To access the full drive you will have to partition it (ATA 66). If yo have a 200GB drive, then you would split the partitions to be less than 138GB.

OP
B

bruceg

Badger said:
Installation is pretty straight-forward. You can get an Apple service guide in PDF format at: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html. It will give a step-by-step guide.
Badger

Thanks ,

I think I will try and install myself. If I have any questions, hopefully I can get the answers from this forum. Any thoughts on how my hard drive would have bit the dust after only four years? I know I should have rebuilt the desktop every month and ran disk warrior on it, but I thought it would have lasted longer than it did.

Bruce Gilbert

OP
B

Badger

bruceg said:
Thanks ,

I think I will try and install myself. If I have any questions, hopefully I can get the answers from this forum. Any thoughts on how my hard drive would have bit the dust after only four years? I know I should have rebuilt the desktop every month and ran disk warrior on it, but I thought it would have lasted longer than it did.

Bruce Gilbert

This is almost certainly a mechanical or electronic failure. DiskWarrior or rebuilding the desktop would have nothing to do with it. It does seem a short life for a hard drive but drive lifespan predictions are pretty speculative.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
This is a PomerMac Forum...

Dunnno if you noticed, but this is a PowerMac Forum, not an iMac forum ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.