Need Monitor Recommendations for New MacBook Pro 13"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2, Ventura OS
I've always purchased the largest screen size MacBook Pro available, but this time I decided to get the 13" and add an external monitor. I would like a longer, rather than taller, model and have been looking at 30"+ curved monitors. Would love some recommendations on a monitor that would pair well with the Mac. I spend a lot of time on social media, watch movies and do photo editing if that would help with a recommendation. Don't need the best out there, but something midrange would be great. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The question about a suitable monitor gets asked repeatedly, opinions and recommendations vary, so a thorough search of this topic will give you numerous answers.

Questions:
1. USB-C or HDMI,
2. Gaming or Business?

For the use you outline, I would recommend Samsung 28" UHD, Model UR55.

It's only drawback I have found is that it is not height-adjustable, so be sure you have the appropriate work desk level, eg. ~26" (650 mm).

Attachments

• SsungMon.jpg
    SsungMon.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The question about a suitable monitor gets asked repeatedly, opinions and recommendations vary, so a thorough search of this topic will give you numerous answers.

Questions:
1. USB-C or HDMI,
2. Gaming or Business?

For the use you outline, I would recommend Samsung 28" UHD, Model UR55.

It's only drawback I have found is that it is not height-adjustable, so be sure you have the appropriate work desk level, eg. ~26" (650 mm).
HDMI
Business/Movies

Reaction score
I'd say $4-$600
This may be exactly what you are looking for:

SAMSUNG UR59 Series 32-Inch ViewFinity 4K UHD (3840x2160) Computer Monitor, Curved, HDMI, Display Port, 3-sided border-less, Eye Saver Mode (LU32R590CWNXZA), Black

$412

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-3840x2160-Computer-border-less-LU32R590CWNXZA/dp/B07L9G1BFX/

For your new MBP, which has Thunderbolt 3/4 (USB-C connector) ports, you will want this USB-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort adapter cable:
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Maxonar-Certified-32-4Gbps-Adapter/dp/B08B3XNZGS/ref=sr_1_11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
For your new MBP, which has Thunderbolt 3/4 (USB-C connector) ports, you will want this USB-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort adapter cable:
When I got my new ViewSonic monitor last month, it had all the cables USB-C/HDMI/Display Port included in the box.

Reaction score
When I got my new ViewSonic monitor last month, it had all the cables USB-C/HDMI/Display Port included in the box.

I checked, and the Samsung model that I recommended to KoobCAM does not include the necessary cable to attach to a MBP that only has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. (I think that this Samsung can be forgiven for this, given that it is over $100 cheaper than the ViewSonic you bought.)

In addition, my experience is that even if a monitor includes cables, it's highly likely that the included USB-C to HDMI cable doesn't support Thunderbolt 3/4, and isn't nearly as high quality as a third party cable. The quality and specs of the adapter/cable that you use definitely makes a different with a monitor of this type. I hear from folks all the time that want to know why their new high-spec monitor seems so underwhelming. It's usually the adapter/cable that they are using.

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked, and the Samsung model that I recommended to KoobCAM does not include the necessary cable to attach to a MBP that only has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. (I think that this Samsung can be forgiven for this, given that it is over $100 cheaper than the ViewSonic you bought.)

In addition, my experience is that even if a monitor includes cables, it's highly likely that the included USB-C to HDMI cable doesn't support Thunderbolt 3/4, and isn't nearly as high quality as a third party cable. The quality and specs of the adapter/cable that you use definitely makes a different with a monitor of this type. I hear from folks all the time that want to know why their new high-spec monitor seems so underwhelming. It's usually the adapter/cable that they are using.
Greatly appreciate all the insight!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.