NEED MAJOR Help!!! I ruined my windows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MacBook Pro; 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Hello,
Hehehe... this is probably going to sound stupid, but please bear with me.
I have a new Macbook Pro 15" 2.66GHz that I got for Christmas. This last weekend, I downloaded a copy of 64-bit Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop.
The bad part was when I was being stupid and impatient and decided to hold down the power button to shut down my computer in the middle of updates. Now, my Windows won't start no matter what I try. Please help!

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Windows updates frequently modify core OS components. Forcing a power down during these modifications can badly break the OS. Which is probably exactly what happened. Sounds like you just need to reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Downloaded a copy of Vista? I wonder where from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Downloaded a copy of Vista? I wonder where from?

Microsoft does sell their products in downloadable form. And it's quite common for Universities to distribute it (as per their license agreement) to students via a disk image.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry...

I've seen many folks confuse "download" and "upload" with "install". Could be that's what he did. ??

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will it allow me to use the same product key, or will I have to buy a whole new copy of Windows? I really can't afford that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you can use the same product key. The product key is usually specific to your hardware, not the individual install.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks a bunch. Just a few more questions and everything will be cleared up for me...
How would one go about reinstalling Windows? Clearing the hard drive, accessing the partition again, etc?

And I also enjoy playing Halo for PC. I've never tried it before, but will I still be able to use the same product key for that, too?

One final thing...
As I have Windows Vista Ultimate, there are a lot of large, memory-using updates to be had. What should I not do while downloading and installing updates?

C

chas_m

What should I not do while downloading and installing updates?

Anything.

Let it do its important work. Go outside and play, or read a book, or (if necessary) take a weekend road trip. :)

I'm being a bit of a hypocrite saying this, as I'm so tethered to my machine that I'm thinking of being buried with it, but updating (particularly on Windows) is a really good time to do non-computer activities.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks a bunch. Just a few more questions and everything will be cleared up for me...
How would one go about reinstalling Windows? Clearing the hard drive, accessing the partition again, etc?

I have not done it in 7 yet, but there are some new recovery options you might want to try first. See here:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Basically, you'll need to boot off the Windows 7 disc, go into recovery options. The first thing I'd attempt is the "System Restore" function.

And I also enjoy playing Halo for PC. I've never tried it before, but will I still be able to use the same product key for that, too?

Yes.

One final thing...
As I have Windows Vista Ultimate, there are a lot of large, memory-using updates to be had. What should I not do while downloading and installing updates?

You mean hard-disk space, not memory.

While the updates are installing, just leave it alone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.