Need help with configuring M1 Macbook Air/Pro

Reaction score
I want to purchase MacBook with apple silicon. I will, sometimes, run Widows (for ARM) using Parallels and use an external monitor. Other times, I will use it for mobile and web app design. I will also run some spreadsheets. Should I purchase M1 Macbook Pro (with a fan) or M1 Macbook Air? Should I get 8 GM or 16 RAM? I plan to use this laptop for 7 years.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Generally, more is better. When looking for longevity just look what has changed in the last 7 years. I still favor a fan, I've never had a problem with a fan and using CPU intensive processes sure generates some heat. On the other hand the Air will be lighter and more portable in that way.
So, if you want a workhorse that will be relevant in even five years get the most powerful with the most storage, RAM and general caperbilities you can afford.

OP
S
Reaction score
Generally, more is better. When looking for longevity just look what has changed in the last 7 years. I still favor a fan, I've never had a problem with a fan and using CPU intensive processes sure generates some heat. On the other hand the Air will be lighter and more portable in that way.
So, if you want a workhorse that will be relevant in even five years get the most powerful with the most storage, RAM and general caperbilities you can afford.

My only worry is that future Macbook will not come with touchbar so the support might not be that long for the touchbar macbooks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to purchase MacBook with apple silicon. I will, sometimes, run Widows (for ARM) using Parallels and use an external monitor. Other times, I will use it for mobile and web app design. I will also run some spreadsheets. Should I purchase M1 Macbook Pro (with a fan) or M1 Macbook Air? Should I get 8 GM or 16 RAM? I plan to use this laptop for 7 years.

You would be better off waiting for Apple to introduce new Silicon MacBook Pros and Air this Summer or late Spring. The second generation will be faster and better.

And what does the Touchbar have to do with anything? Most folks hate the Touchbar and it appears Apple is doing away with it. That's even a better reason to wait before you buy something.

OP
S
Reaction score
You would be better off waiting for Apple to introduce new Silicon MacBook Pros and Air this Summer or late Spring. The second generation will be faster and better.

And what does the Touchbar have to do with anything? Most folks hate the Touchbar and it appears Apple is doing away with it. That's even a better reason to wait before you buy something.

Since future Macbooks might not have touchbar, I am apprehensive if the current M1 MBP will get updates for as long M1 MBA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then, don't buy the current M1 MacBook Air and instead wait for the second generation of the silicon MacBook Air.

Problem solved. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since future Macbooks might not have touchbar, I am apprehensive if the current M1 MBP will get updates for as long M1 MBA.

I am not sure why you think having or not having a touchbar will have anything to do with updates. I have a 2020 MBP - Intel - with touchbar. I do not find it to be much of an asset and rarely use it. I will be looking at the next gen of M1 MBP's due out this spring or summer. But the current M1's - regardless of Pro or Air - will get updated for the same number of years regardless.

But I agree with chscag - wait for the next gen of M1's

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree, the second generation is bound to be better sorted. As for the touch bar I don't think it's an issue, at least not for me but whether it lives on or not it will not effect macOS updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.