Need help troubleshooting my Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011

Reaction score
Recently my Macbook Pro has been having an issue. I turn it off for the night and go to sleep. Upon waking up and turning it on it won't boot at all. I get a black screen and I hear fans starting to spin and then they completely stop. Also the sleep light keeps blinking one time. It keeps repeating this process until I do the Shift+Alt+Command+Power Button thing (I believe resetting SMC). I'm currently booted into safe mode and have repaired my disk and it says everything is okay. This usually only happens when I leave it off. I'm just coming here to see if anyone with experience might be able to diagnose this or help me further. I appreciate any advice, thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have to keep repairing the disk in order for your MacBook Pro to work right, the first thing you need to do is make a backup, and the second thing is to change out the hard drive before it fails all together.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you have to keep repairing the disk in order for your MacBook Pro to work right, the first thing you need to do is make a backup, and the second thing is to change out the hard drive before it fails all together.
I already erased the whole hard drive. So no worries there. And i don't have to keep repairing the hardrive. I've been doing it just to see if everything's okay. My problem is not knowing what the problem is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's a bit different than your original post. We'll assume the hard drive is alright. Since you reset the SMC and it's doing the same thing, it could be a logic failure. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running but go ahead and do a hardware test to see if any errors come up. Using the Apple Hardware Test

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, that's a bit different than your original post. We'll assume the hard drive is alright. Since you reset the SMC and it's doing the same thing, it could be a logic failure. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running but go ahead and do a hardware test to see if any errors come up. Using the Apple Hardware Test

I'm running the Yosemite OSX and the AHT isn't working. I hold down the D key but nothing happens.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.