Need Help Locating Photos

Reaction score
I recently lost most of my iphoto library. I have done a number of searches looking for .jpg, .jpeg. Found nothing. The odd part is, that my screen saver plays with all of the lost photos. It pulls from a folder just called "pictures," at least that is what it is called in the screen saver set up box.

I also bought the Stellar photo recovery tool...it takes days to run and it pulls every little icon you could ever think of...not good for recovering a few thousand photos.

Thanks.
Ian

C

chas_m

I recently lost most of my iphoto library. I have done a number of searches looking for .jpg, .jpeg. Found nothing.

This is because the photos are actually located INSIDE the iPhoto Library file. DO NOT MESS WITH THIS or you WILL lose data.

It sounds as though your iPhoto library is okay, which is good. Locate the file, then launch iPhoto holding down the option key. It will ask if you want to create or change iPhoto libraries. Just point it at the iPhoto Library file you found and everything should be back to normal.

Repeat: if you're using iPhoto, NEVER manipulate the iPhoto Library file except from within the iPhoto program itself.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to go the route you described, but I am unable to get to the folder which I can see in the as a screen saver option. Is there any way to see the root of the screen saver folders? Under the pre-loaded screen savers on the screen saver menu I have 3 folders: Pictures Folder, Pictures, and Choose Folder...

"Pictures" is the one I want to locate on the hard drive but cannot.

Thanks
Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Pictures" in the Screen Saver sidebar is not a folder. It is not a single location. It is a listing of pretty much all the pictures on the machine, wherever they happen to be. It is similar to "Search For" section in the Finder sidebar.

chas_m is correct. The screen saver will play items and will list photos that are stored in the iPhoto and/or Aperture database. I would also suggest as chas, that you not play with any of the ones you have stored in iPhoto, outside of iPhoto.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to go the route you described, but I am unable to get to the folder which I can see in the as a screen saver option. Is there any way to see the root of the screen saver folders? Under the pre-loaded screen savers on the screen saver menu I have 3 folders: Pictures Folder, Pictures, and Choose Folder...

"Pictures" is the one I want to locate on the hard drive but cannot.

Thanks
Ian

Hello ismith!

Try this. Click on the finder icon in your dock. You should have a listing for pictures. Click on pictures. Your iPhoto library should be here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.