Need help figuring out whats wrong with my MBP

Reaction score
I have a 2011 MBP that's been running horribly slow for years now. Closing windows, clicking on things, copying and moving files, switching between windows and workspaces etc. all runs much slower than it should.

It started happening after I dropped it on the floor several times while powered on so I'm wondering if it might be the harddrive. I ran a speed test and it measures around 80MB/s read/write. Is this slow for a TOSHIBA MK3265GSXF SATA rated at 300MB/s. I have no idea?

Also, it seems strange that opening windows and such things should run slow because of a bad drive? And it hasn't been getting any worse. There used to be a clunk/click noise in the computer that went away after a while..

Any ideas?

OP
W
Reaction score
I ran xbench here's the output I dunno if this is useful? Oh i also ran the hardware diagnostics thing outside of osx and it said there's no trouble.

2zemaf4.jpg

OP
W
Reaction score
Just some additional info.

One thing I've noticed when copying a large file or installing something for example that it happens in "bursts" like it goes real fast for a couple of seconds or so and then it stalls for a second before picking up again, like there's a glitch or an issue with the caches?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice is to make sure that your backups are up to date. Use Time Machine and also cloning software for double safety (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper) and swap out that hard drive as soon as you can before it dies on you altogether. ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
My advice is to make sure that your backups are up to date. Use Time Machine and also cloning software for double safety (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper) and swap out that hard drive as soon as you can before it dies on you altogether. ;)

Don't really care about any data I just want a smooth running machine. And I wanna fix it as cheaply as possible without trying this and trying that only to end up it was a third thing that needed replacing.

If it really was the HD wouldnt Apple Hardware Test pick it up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.