need help - external library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM
hi. i have never tried to establish my itunes library anywhere else but onboard my machine. however, i'd like to streamline my whole setup now, and this is part of how i'd like to do so.

THE GOAL...
-> most listened albums/artists/etc. onboard my computer (macbook pro - see my profile for more details).
-> all other music on an external drive (dedicated drive - there will ONLY be music on it).
-> two separate libraries in itunes ("onboard" and "external," for instance).
-> and finally, if i turn on itunes WITHOUT the external connected, i don't want it to freak out and tell me it can't do anything cause it can't find my tunes.

so can anyone help me out with detailed step-by-step instructions for setting up an external library similar to this? i sure would appreciate it.

thank you!

blair cerny | sf.ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You may need libra for multiple libraries.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the suggestion!! that app seems to be pretty much exactly what i'm lookin for.

any other thoughts?
anyone?
bueller?
bueller?

blair cerny | sf.ca

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
invaluable! thank you!

blair cerny | sf.ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
my pleasure.. with novicew's great post and mine do you have any other questions?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for askin, KoDorSean. i don't have any other questions right now, as i'm at work, and i won't be able to try and execute any of this until probably tomorrow or thursday. however, as soon as everything goes pear-shaped, you, novicew, and the rest of the mac forums experts will be the first to know!

(in all honesty, i feel silly even asking these things, having been on the itunes train from the beginning. this all seems so basic -- like i should know it already!! hahaha!!)

blair cerny | sf.ca

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.