Need help deciding on a power cord for 13" MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hopefully I am asking this question in the correct place...it's my first time to post a question.

I have the MacBook Model A1278. My cat recently decided that my power cord was a fun toy and ruined it. It is the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter model A1344. I've been researching a replacement, but I need some advice...

I've seen a few options on Amazon..the same model that I have and also model A1184. I am also seeing some 85W chargers that say that they work with the 13" MacBook Pro. I'm not sure what I should buy because people comment a lot about all of the problems they have had with the factory cord. Also, there are some big price differences between the ones I am looking at--

$75 for the A1344 (ratings aren't so great)
$32 for the A1184 (ratings bit better, much cheaper)
$20 for an 85W Ropee brand cord (#1 Best Seller on Amazon in Laptop & Netbook Computer Chargers & Adapters)

I'm really unsure about what to get. And, I want to make sure I don't screw anything up if I went with the 85W instead of the 60W. The options I listed above are just a few examples of what's available. Have any of you had to replace a similar cord?

Any advice would be tremendously help!!

Thanks,
anneemull

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't go wrong if you buy a genuine Apple replacement power cord - adapter directly from them. Yes, it's going to be more expensive but you can be assured that it's the same as the one which originally came with your MacBook Pro. I recommend you also check with Other World Computing (Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac) for a power cord replacement. By the way, the cord is called "MagSafe Power Adapter". Also, it's perfectly safe to buy one which is rated higher than the original.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.