Need Advice with Problem after Using Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Hello, I have an older white Unibody MacBook laptop limited to OS Snow Leopard. My wife used it for games. I bought a slightly later model with OS High Sierra in order to run more games, mostly Hidden Object from Big Fish Games. I used Migration Assistant and the newer MacBook7a refuses to receive The Big Fish Games GameManager download. I have tried several attempts to reinstall, using various instruction from the internet, as well as instructions from Big Fish Support. Zip.
The newer MacBook acts like the migration messed it up. Almost like the computer was reverted back to a former setup or something. I wish I could undo the migration. Any help appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Dear HHSymons, I have just managed to get Big Fish Games up and running on my and my wife's MBP's. I had assumed it was their fault as this has been ongoing since last year when we both upgraded macOS to Catalina.
As Catalina can not run 32bit apps which all Big Fish games and the Game Manager were at that time I thought that was the whole problem. Now nearly 9 months later I was still unable to instal or launch Game Manager, until today. Here is the reply email I sent to Big Fish Support explaining the process.

Dear Felix, thank you for your prompt reply. May I add a couple of steps to your instructions for installing the Game Manager on macOS Catalina 10.15.5. It is likely that others who are experiencing problems may be for the same reason as myself.

First let me I apologise for assuming my difficulty was entirely due to shortcomings on the part of BFG.

Before following your instructions which to be fair were the same as the procedure I tried
yesterday, I decided to do a thorough system search for any bigfish remnants left over from macOS Mojave 10.14.
I had used Clean My Mac X
yesterday to remove the previous downloads of Game Manager and I thought any left overs but it was obviously not enough.

Today, prior to downloading Game Manager from your link I did a search using a free app called Find Any File (221). It located 18 files additional which I deleted. I highly recommend this app, I have been using it for years but of course there are others. Even the Finder may have been sufficient but occasionally there are “hidden” files which FAF will show.

I then downloaded the Game Manager from the link, moved it to Applications Folder and attempted to open it.

I got a message saying it could not be opened because it was from an unknown developer, options, Close or Move To Trash.

I left that message up and opened System Preferences > Privacy and Security, entered my password to unlock preferences, a message appears saying I am trying to open an app from an unknown developer, I click the Open Anyway button and low and behold the Game Manager launched.

Now, it’s important to note I tried this same process
yesterday without success so the only difference todaywas removing all trace of old bigfish files, this included two old 32bit games I did not know I still had. This may only be an issue for users who have had a previous installation on an earlier macOS version.

Obviously Catalina and the 32bit versus 64bit issue should not be an issue for you but apple's change to APFS in High Sierra may be.
In any case I advise you to do a thorough search for any big fish games files and delete them prior to attempting to download an instal the a Game Manager using the advised method I describe above.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Obviously Catalina and the 32bit versus 64bit issue should not be an issue for you but apple's change to APFS in High Sierra may be.

Changing the file format to APFS in High Sierra was optional and then only for SSDs. So I doubt the OP need worry about that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I kinda think any change may have an effect when it comes to trouble shooting but it probably was due to a residual file left over from previous installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.