Need advice on iPod movies...

Reaction score
I have some DVD's I ripped with Mac the Ripper. Then I used handbrake to convert them to H.264 and stored them in iTunes library. My ipod won't load them unless I then convert them to aac for iPod (in the iTunes 'Advanced' menu. They still come out H.264 - I don't see the difference.

All of this takes hours. Is there a way to skip the iTunes 'convert to AAC' by setting something differently in Handbrake to begin with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
handbrake will rip and convert all in one.. why not just rip the dvd's with handbrake into mp4 formatt? thats how I do it.

OP
F
Reaction score
That's what I'm doing...

I set Handbrake to H.264, aac encoding and do 2-pass. This produces a .mp4 file on my desktop. I then change the extension to .m4v to move it into iTunes and it plays perfectly - only the iPod doesn't like it.

There must a setting for bit rate or something that must be different for the iPod that I'm missing. I just go with whatever Handbrake's defaults are - I think it's 1000 bit rate and 700 on some other measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I set Handbrake to H.264, aac encoding and do 2-pass. This produces a .mp4 file on my desktop. I then change the extension to .m4v to move it into iTunes and it plays perfectly - only the iPod doesn't like it.

There must a setting for bit rate or something that must be different for the iPod that I'm missing. I just go with whatever Handbrake's defaults are - I think it's 1000 bit rate and 700 on some other measure.

the bit rate cant be higher than 768 I believe or it wont work on the ipod.

take a look at these.. courtesy of baggss

movie:

http://www.phoppe.com/HB/movie/movie.html

tv shows:

http://www.phoppe.com/HB/tv/tv.html

Reaction score
why not use instant handbrake. it makes sure all of the settings are correct

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPod 4th and 5th Gen
I second gnrfsu's thoughts....mediafork is the way to go.

Reaction score
i normally use Mac the Ripper for putting DVD movies onto my hard drive....now i need to transfer them to .mp4 format so after utalizing the search function, i downloaded instant handbrake..to convert the files but how long does it normally take to convert a VIDEO_TS file to .mp4 format? according to what im doinf, its says 6hours..? is that right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.