Need a Thunderbolt 3 Hub w/ Multiple Thunderbolt 2 & USB 3.1 Ports

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh, lordy, you should see my cable management in this studio; it's a nightmare. I mean... behind the curtain it's a nightmare.

Well, trading in the new iMac is out of the question for now. I guess I'll have to wait for an external TB3 hub (assuming one ever gets made!) For now, I just ordered another 2TB USB 3.1 SSD and I'll use that for projects I'm currently in post on. Actually, I just BlackMagic'd my TB2 RAID array, and it's doing Read/Writes of only around 220 MB/s. Which will be doubled by swapping the SSD into the workflow. Hopefully I can minimize my reliance on those bigger external TB2 drives. Plus, I've had them for about 5 years now, and I'm worried about how many more years they have on this earth...

I wonder what sort of transfer speeds I'll get with the new Samsung T5 when connected via Type A 3.0 vs. Type C. It's weird AF to me that these new iMac's USB-A ports are all 3.0 and not 3.1...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's weird AF to me that these new iMac's USB-A ports are all 3.0 and not 3.1...

Why? Your 2 Thunderbird 3 ports are already USB 3.1. Apple provided the remainder ports as 3.0 for compatibility purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.