Need a bit of help creating an external hard drive backup (iMac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K, iMac, Late 2015, iOS High Sierra
Can anyone suggest/recommend an Apple compatible, external hard drive to use with Time Machine to backup my iMac.
I could use advice on Brands and/or Vendors!
Currently running macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6 on an 27" Retina 5k, Late 2015 iMac.

Apple has released newer versions of Pages, Numbers and other applications that do not get updated from the App Store because they require an iOS newer than High Sierra. I realize I need to create a backup of my iMac with Time Machine so I can then proceed to update High Sierra to either Mojave or Catalina and then I'll get the new Apple Application updates.

Thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any good quality hard drive brand will suffice. Best prices for external hard drives are usually found on Amazon. You can also look around for sales from Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, etc, etc. Make sure you buy a drive large enough to backup your iMac and plenty of room to spare.

For example: If the hard drive in your iMac is 1TB, an external hard drive capacity of 2TB is recommended.

You might also think about using cloning software instead of Time Machine. Cloning software has an advantage in that the backup is bootable and recovery is quick and painless. Time Machine restores are usually more involved.

Take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper software:

OP
blueclaw4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K, iMac, Late 2015, iOS High Sierra
Any good quality hard drive brand will suffice. Best prices for external hard drives are usually found on Amazon. You can also look around for sales from Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, etc, etc. Make sure you buy a drive large enough to backup your iMac and plenty of room to spare.

For example: If the hard drive in your iMac is 1TB, an external hard drive capacity of 2TB is recommended.

You might also think about using cloning software instead of Time Machine. Cloning software has an advantage in that the backup is bootable and recovery is quick and painless. Time Machine restores are usually more involved.

Take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper software:

Thank you for your reply and your interest in my questions. I appreciate the information you offered and your time and effort to help me out.
I'm a "newbie" in this Apple/Mac Forum so I'm still learning my way around reading posts and replies that other folks have contributed. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.