N00bie needs help sharing DSL connection between iMac and Dell

J

jonny683

Hey,

I looked around on the forum before joining to see if I could set up the internet sharing myself, but I don't think I'll be able to. My roomate has a fairly new Dell PC running WindowsXP while I have a 350Mhz G3 Mac running OS X 10.3.5. I was wondering how to share the DSL internet connection between the two computers, if possible, and what hardware I would need to purchase to make this work. I am somewhat versed in the Mac OS, my family had an old Performa back when I was in grade school, and usually I was the one to fix it. But this PC is beyond me, I only know a few things. Is there anyone who could help me out and tell me exactly how to share this internet connection? I don't know if a router alone would work since you have to "Dial up" using DSL. Anyway, let me know in laymans terms how to share this DSL connection.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jonathan :confused:

OP
M

mpolda

A router is all you need

DSL is an always-on service, not dial up. As long as your DSL modem has an ethernet port on it you can network it by simply adding a router. A basic router with 4-port switch would be fine.

OP
C

chapytoutou

jonny683 said:
Hey,

I looked around on the forum before joining to see if I could set up the internet sharing myself, but I don't think I'll be able to. My roomate has a fairly new Dell PC running WindowsXP while I have a 350Mhz G3 Mac running OS X 10.3.5. I was wondering how to share the DSL internet connection between the two computers, if possible, and what hardware I would need to purchase to make this work. I am somewhat versed in the Mac OS, my family had an old Performa back when I was in grade school, and usually I was the one to fix it. But this PC is beyond me, I only know a few things. Is there anyone who could help me out and tell me exactly how to share this internet connection? I don't know if a router alone would work since you have to "Dial up" using DSL. Anyway, let me know in laymans terms how to share this DSL connection.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jonathan :confused:

I did ofthen connect both Mac OSX and a Window running XP on the same internet connection using a Switch 10/100 SMC or a five port router. You just have to configurate both machine with the same ISP info. You can even set both machine to share printer or fax.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.