Myst Half Screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Late iMac i5 27" Retina. 2006 Mac Pro
I'm brand new to Mac Forums so I am posting this here in general fashion.

Mine is an iMac i5 27 inch Retina Late 2014. It is stock except for extra RAM added in 2015. I have a number of the Myst games that play quite well on it. A couple, however, only show half the game on the left half of the monitor screen. I purchased these from both GOG and Steam as downloads. I was going to put a screen shot here if needed but picture it this way. You are watching a movie only the right half of the movie is black and the left side of the movie is perfect. No overlap, stutter or noise at all. Just half black and half perfect. Sound is right on the money. The other Myst games play just fine and dandy. If anyone can give me a fix or a reference to help I would appreciate it. If you use Steam or GOG and can tell me how to get personal support that would be fine to. I've tried both to get support with absolutely no response.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've moved this to the Apps and Games area for the moment as that seems to be a more appropriate place for this question.

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question for clarification. The games you are having trouble with are the only ones you are having issues with? Other software displays normally?

It might help us to know exactly which titles are misbehaving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What version of OS X/macOS are you using?

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to OS- Catalina now but I was using Mojave when I purchased the games. The Myst games are: Myst lV Revelation and Myst V End of Ages. I have Myst Exile, Riven, and Real Myst which have no problem at all running normally. I am not running from CD or online. I purchased the games from Steam and GOG but their support in this issue has been abysmal. Thanks for getting back to me this quickly!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This sounds more like a graphic problem with the games. Your iMac should be able to handle those games full screen without a problem. This is something maybe you should take up with the developer rather than Steam or GOG.

What have you tried specifically to overcome the problem? What happens if you change the resolution for your iMac?

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried scale versus default. I'm not an expert on this and haven't come across this particular type of problem before. Scale had no bearing on the issue. I will try the app developer but thought it might be something others were aware of so gave this a shot first.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As to OS- Catalina now but I was using Mojave when I purchased the games. The Myst games are: Myst lV Revelation and Myst V End of Ages. I have Myst Exile, Riven, and Real Myst which have no problem at all running normally. I am not running from CD or online. I purchased the games from Steam and GOG but their support in this issue has been abysmal. Thanks for getting back to me this quickly!
Did the games run correctly when you first downloaded them under Mojave?

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In answer, no, it did not work on Mohave. In the meantime, I submitted this to Ubisoft and actually got a reply. I have now forwarded this to their tech team and I should get an answer. If it will benefit, and if this works out, I will submit the result here if you would like me to. Don't know when I will get an answer but the first one was within hours which surprised the heck out of me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, please let us know what they tell you. We have other members that use Steam for games. Myst is one of those older carry over games from the days of Windows and is very popular.

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My request is now with their tech people. They asked for my System Profile which I copied and sent to them today. I am surprised at how ready and willing the Ubisoft people are to help. It does the heart good! I will post the result when it gets here. A couple of days I would think.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Look forward to hearing the answer as an avid gamer I have not played a game that ever had that particular problem. The stock answer for those few games I did have a problem with was to reinstall the game. This also meant downloading it again usually.

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had to complete a short story I've been writing for a few weeks. Still here just momentarily taking care of necessities. I will get back to this ferreting out in a couple of days.

OP
Quilica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I wanted to get back to this thread because I realized that, instead of wondering and waiting, I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 sitting idly by doing, well, nothing. I bought this toward the end of my creative career in photography. Once I purchased the iMac the new one was all I needed. However, the Mac Pro sports macos Snow Leopard with a Lion ISO already waiting. This also means that I can use it for any of the old games. Now that I am putting together a new monitor and doing some research on the Mac Pro i am seeing that Mac users are hunting for the older Mac Pros. I believe that they're lookng for the 2008-2009 more than the one I have but I have always found it to be unwise to chuck anything just because one thinks it is old. Not sure if I will install Lion at this juncture. Just clear the detritus off the hard drive and see what I have.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Definitely worth doing, the real advantage of updating the macOS would probably only be the inclusion of iCloud and maybe game comparability but maybe not, obviously that would depend on the game.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.