My wifi connection on my iMac shuts down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac 21.5, 4g ram, 1T HD, 2.7GHz, High Sierra
My wifi connection on my iMac shuts down whenever my machine goes into sleep mode. This is inconvenient and seems to interfere in awakening my computer and waiting for the reconnection. This began happening when I installed Sierra and is one of several strange new behaviors triggered by the install. I don't believe my router is the cause b/c all my other devices, phones and iPads continue to operate as usual without interruption. I have run OnyX several times for other issues but this problem continues. Any suggestions to stop this will be appreciated.

Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can sympathize with you as I had the same thing happen on several occasions when upgrading versions of OS X. What I found helpful was completely removing the connection and then reconnecting with a new one. Also, make sure your iMac is completely coming out of sleep. If it takes 30 to 60 seconds or so to reconnect when the machine wakes up, there may be something else going on.

Reaction score
My wifi connection on my iMac shuts down whenever my machine goes into sleep mode. This is inconvenient and seems to interfere in awakening my computer and waiting for the reconnection. This began happening when I installed Sierra and is one of several strange new behaviors triggered by the install. I don't believe my router is the cause b/c all my other devices, phones and iPads continue to operate as usual without interruption. I have run OnyX several times for other issues but this problem continues. Any suggestions to stop this will be appreciated.

Joe

If your Mac is disconnecting from wireless networks upon waking from sleep, try the following steps to resolve the issue. Before beginning, you’ll probably want to be sure you have the appropriate wifi router passwords handy so that you can reconnect to the networks quickly.

1. Go to the  Apple menu and choose System Preferences, then go to the “Network” panel
2. Selecting Wi-Fi from the left side menu, click on the “Advanced” button in the corner
3. Click into the “Preferred Networks” box and hit Command+A to Select All, then click the [-] minus button to remove all wi-fi networks – there is no confirmation it just happens instantly.
4. Click “OK” to set that change
5. Back at the Network preference panel, pull down the “Locations” menu and choose “Edit Locations”
6. Click the [+] plus button to add a new network location, give it some name
7. Choose “Done”, then back at the Network panel again join the wi-fi network you want to connect to and enter the login details as usual
8. Choose “Apply” to set the changes and close out of System Preferences

At this point the Mac should have no issue staying connected to the wireless router when woken from sleep, behaving as intended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.