• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I work at a local Honda/Acura/Mitsubishi dealer here in Denver Colorado. I sell wholesale car parts. Last year I sold $1.8 million bucks in parts. Take a guess at the computer they give me to do this? A PC running windows 2000 with 128mb of ram.. I asked one of the managers today if I could get some more memory added to this pig because I am sick of it crashing and in the mornings when I boot it up it takes 10 minutes. He told me "Not a problem, I think we have a spare 64mb stick we could put in it". Is anyone else seeing a problem with this picture or is it just me?

Reaction score
Show him how well you've performed and tell him that if you had better infrasturcture you could outperform yourself - 192 MB of RAM is just too little to run the OSes of today.

You cant use your PowerBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I work at a local Honda/Acura/Mitsubishi dealer here in Denver Colorado. I sell wholesale car parts. Last year I sold $1.8 million bucks in parts. Take a guess at the computer they give me to do this? A PC running windows 2000 with 128mb of ram.. I asked one of the managers today if I could get some more memory added to this pig because I am sick of it crashing and in the mornings when I boot it up it takes 10 minutes. He told me "Not a problem, I think we have a spare 64mb stick we could put in it". Is anyone else seeing a problem with this picture or is it just me?

Sucks, but why don't you ask them if you can use your own computer for the job? Once they see how efficient Macs are, they might change their minds later.

Anyhow, thats how companies think. They like to go for the cheapest, and cut corners when they can. But hey, what can you do?

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Show him how well you've performed and tell him that if you had better infrasturcture you could outperform yourself - 192 MB of RAM is just too little to run the OSes of today.

You cant use your PowerBook?

Very good point..

I wonder if a Mac would work in my work place.. We use ADP to invoice our parts and we lookup our parts via the internet.. I should look into this!

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sucks, but why don't you ask them if you can use your own computer for the job? Once they see how efficient Macs are, they might change their minds later.

Anyhow, thats how companies think. They like to go for the cheapest, and cut corners when they can. But hey, what can you do?

spend less make more.. story of my life.. besides the crap computer I use I can't complain.. they do take care of me.

Reaction score
Perhaps if they understand that the faster and better your computer is (read Mac) the more you can sell, hence the greater profit they make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
KoDorSean, you sure have a right to rant! What's with employers who don't appreciate what employees do for them?

Listen to them talk about how hard it is to find good help. Sure, because they don't want to acknowledge their good work and make them more productive OR pay them well!

I've never had this happen (I'm in nursing) but I sure can feel for you.

Bummer! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
128MB of RAM & Win2K?! OUCH! I'm stuck with 512MB and it is s-l-o-w! I can't run more than Outlook and 2 windows of IE at a time w/o crashing. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
If you are able to use the powerbook, do so for a month and then say you have to switch back to the Windows box as you had to lend your machine to a relative. When they see your productivity slow down maybe they'll change their minds.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
128MB of RAM & Win2K?! OUCH! I'm stuck with 512MB and it is s-l-o-w! I can't run more than Outlook and 2 windows of IE at a time w/o crashing. :(

ya, ouch! I move the mouse across the screen and things freeze ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Typical of being short sighted on the management side.
If you were working for a graphic art studio, that would have never happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Really? I run Windows 2000 on a 233 MHz Latop with 128 MB of RAM. I run Firefox, iTunes, Yahoo, MSN, AIM and ICQ all at the same time. It works flawlessly.

Although I'd go for that 64 MB stick if I were you. 64 MB is a massive upgrade for W2k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Really? I run Windows 2000 on a 233 MHz Latop with 128 MB of RAM. I run Firefox, iTunes, Yahoo, MSN, AIM and ICQ all at the same time. It works flawlessly.

Although I'd go for that 64 MB stick if I were you. 64 MB is a massive upgrade for W2k

What kind of work do you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
What about everyone else here...what kind of computer do you use at work? I'd like to take a look and see from what everyone uses here...not just because I sell Mac hardware...but because I'm curious, as I use Mac here at work and PC at home. :)

Reaction score
That sucks about only adding 64mb ram. *** is this 1996? :p I would be so frustrated if I had a machine that slow.

Since I work from home, I use my MBP for most things and my home PC only when I need to use this app for my work that only runs on Windows.

My work/game pc is a 4600+ x2, 4gb ram, 2 7900GTs SLI, total of 650GB HD space, etc. What I want to do is buy a mac pro and run boot camp on it so I might be able to ditch my PC altogether, but for gaming it's nice so I dunno what I can do. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.