My PowerMac G5 is stuck on the desktop screen when booting up.

Reaction score
Friday morning I had to force shut down the computer due to an error( got a dim screen with a message saying to shut down ).

After that, I can't get the computer to load all the way in the desktop screen. A small part of the top menu bar appears but that's it, it's stuck.

Sorry the pic is small but you should be able to see the that small part. When I hover over it with the mouse, I get a spinning wheel.

What should I do and is there a way I can back up any files on it? Thank you.

xa4Df2N.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My main thought is the OS on the computer may be corrupted in some way. So some ideas.

1. Boot the computer from an OS install DVD. Launch Disk Utility…then try repairing the hard drive. Then try rebooting the computer from the hard drive.

2. If idea #1 doesn't work…and since you have a Powermac G5 (with two internal hard drives bays) where the hard drives are easy to swap/change. I would pop a new/different hard drive in there with a fresh OS install on it…then boot the computer from it. With this idea…you can determine if the problem is logic board related…or just hard drive related.

What should I do and is there a way I can back up any files on it? Thank you.

Of course the obvious answer is if you had a backup already…there would be no problem with file recovery. But if you have no back up…and idea #1 above doesn't work…if idea #2 works (booting from a different hard drive)…you may be able to access hard drive #1 (just not able to boot the computer from it).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Not sure if those will work. Don't know much about the computer. It's a work computer and I started this job recently. I work as a graphic designer with 3 other designers, who also have Mac Pros. Wondering if we could switch hard drives.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wondering if we could switch hard drives.

I'm going to say I doubt it. The Mac Pro's are most likely running a newer version of the Mac OS. A version that is not compatible with an older Powermac G5.

The max OS on a Powermac G5 is 10.5.8. The Mac Pro's are probably running OS 10.6 or higher. The most current Mac OS is 10.10. So the OS this Powermac G5 is running is now 5 versions old! That's a LOT!!!

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Whoops I meant they have PowerMac G5s as well, just with a newer OS and better specs.

Mine has Tiger OS X :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops I meant they have PowerMac G5s as well, just with a newer OS and better specs.

Mine has Tiger OS X :/

Ok...that makes a BIG difference!:)

If this is the case...then you very well should be able to swap the "boot hard drive" from one of the other Powermac G5's...install it into the Powermac G5 with the problem...then see if it boots normally.

If it boots normally...then the problem is on the hard drive...and not something "bad" on the rest of the computer like the logic board or video card. If the different boot hard drive does not solve the problem...then this Powermac G5 has bigger problems.

Which from a "big picture" perspective is not really that big of a deal. Why...depending on the model Powermac G5...these are selling for only about $100 on eBay. I even saw one sell for about $21 bucks.

Yes you heard me correctly...each of the Powermac G5's at your location are probably only worth about $100 each. And on a "good day" for a buyer ("bad day" for a seller)...only about $21 bucks on eBay!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. In case this Powermac G5 has a video card problem...you could also swap one of the video cards from one of the other Powermac G5's...into the "problem" Powermac G5.:)

OP
G
Reaction score
By install do you mean just putting it in? Right now all I really care about it saving those files.

My boss already told me they are in the process of buying one of the new Mac Pros for one of the other designers, and that other designer would give me their computer, which is nice because it's a lot faster and has newer software. Mine not only has OS X Tiger but Adobe CS3 as well haha.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By install do you mean just putting it in? Right now all I really care about it saving those files.

Yes...by install I mean take the boot drive from one of the working Powermac G5's...and put it into the non-working Powermac G5. In addition...keep the original boot drive that's in the non-working Powermac G5...in it.

Powermac G5's can have two internal hard drives...so you should have two hard drives installed in the non-working Powermac G5 when you are done.

Since both of these hard drives have an OS installed on them (both bootable hard drives). When you boot this computer...hold down the "option" key. Both hard drives should show up...you need to choose the proper hard drive to boot from (which should be the hard drive from the working Powermac G5).

Once the computer (hopefully) boots up normally...hopefully you will have access to both drives. And of course this would hopefully mean that you have access to the files on the original HD from the non-working Powermac G5.:)

My boss already told me they are in the process of buying one of the new Mac Pros for one of the other designers, and that other designer would give me their computer, which is nice because it's a lot faster and has newer software. Mine not only has OS X Tiger but Adobe CS3 as well haha.

Sounds great. Always nice to get a faster computer!:) By the way...the Powermac you currently have can be upgraded to OS 10.5 (Tiger is 10.4). And I'm 99% sure CS3 is compatible with 10.5.:)

Please post back with your results. I'm curious how things turn out.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

C

chas_m

I hope you have a nice boss, but I would have long since quit any job that made me use ancient macs and software! There's no need to upgrade every year but Geez Louise!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope you have a nice boss, but I would have long since quit any job that made me use ancient macs and software! There's no need to upgrade every year but Geez Louise!

"Tongue in cheek"…on the surface I understand what you're saying.:)

In a world where someone may have lots & lots of employment choices…and doesn't have to move from one end of the country to the other to pursue employment…I would totally agree.:)

But I think that both of us know that many personal & non-personal factors complicate why we may decide to work with one employer or another. #1 reasons being…bad economies & high unemployment (many other reasons as well). Sometimes we take jobs because we NEED to…not because we want to. And for many folks…relocation isn't an option.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Haha I'm happy with my job. Nice to have something in my field shortly after graduating from college. I got used to the slowness with this computer. I knew from the beginning that they would upgrade me at some point.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well shucks. Turns out the other computers are Mac Pros.

SO I found the 2 install discs for my Power Mac. I inserted disc 1 into an external disc drive, plugged into my computer. My computer doesn't have an internal disc drive. That didn't work, perhaps the disc didn't load in time. I also tried safe booting. Held down the shift key and while the computer was on the gray Apple screen, the fans started going CRAZY, so I turned off the computer.

Any other suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well shucks. Turns out the other computers are Mac Pros.

A very quick & easy way to differentiate Powermac G5's from Mac Pro's is…Powermac G5's have a single optical drive slot on the front of the computer…Mac Pro's have two. Probably too late now…but just wanted to mention it.

SO I found the 2 install discs for my Power Mac. I inserted disc 1 into an external disc drive, plugged into my computer. My computer doesn't have an internal disc drive.

Any other suggestions?

These gray disks need to be the exact original disks that came with this computer when new. If not…they most likely won't work at all.

If trying to boot from a CD/DVD…you need to hold down the "c" key when booting.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Holding "C" didn't do anything :/

Not sure if I will bother with this now. I'm able to work on my Macbook at work now while we wait for a new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.