My new 20" iMac feels sluggish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Correct. Tiger for the Intel is a FULL Intel OS. The only Emulation going on is with Applications like Adobe and Microsoft which still are not universal and only run natively on the Power PC.

Agreed totally.

Awesome, thanks for the correction!
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Our performance problems/benchmarks are not comparing rosetta to native programs. It's the same program, changing performance over time. Be it native or rosetta or Finder or the OS itself. Everything slowed down over time.
I'll have a hard time thinking that the OS can't take care of itself and turns to molasses over time. I really think it's the hard drive getting clogged from use. I hear it, I see it (MenuMeters)... it labors more and harder as time goes on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi,

Yes I too thought my 24" Core Duo 2.16 Imac was slow afer my PC but what I have learnt is this:

Speed is certainly subjective and I judged my PC on how fast a program loaded but in reality it is how fast the program runs when in use that aids productivity. The hard disc on my Imac is slow compared to the Western Digital Caviar on my PC but slowly (like my lovely Imac) yet surely I have realised that the loading of a program or files is secondary to the speed the machine does the work after the program/files are loaded. In short... the sensation of speed on any computer does not really define the real speed you can get the job done. Phew! One thing I know. I have stopped using my PC cos' I love the Mac OS and yes! I have got and tried Vista but my Imac just does the job. No blue screen, thrashing hard drive, no noise, no virus, fast start up. Roll on Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. But waiting two seconds for the bezel to pop on screen when I hit the volume-up key is just not right. It used to be instantaneous when the machine was up to 5 months old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
My Intel core duo MBP has the power settings adjustment, which I have just changed. It is under energy saver, optimization....just chasnged it to 'better performance' No noticeable change, but then again it runs fast enough for me with 2.167 processor and 1 gig ram.

Just loaded menu meters and was amazed to see 2 readings for CPU percentage...one for each core?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, it'll show both cores separately. Its interesting to see them not be in sync some times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I am long time Mac user, recently purchased a new iMac, dual core, and after a month I noticed it has slowed a bit, certainly within normal operating condition. As we use our computers the hard-drives do become "bottled-up". Everyone has mentioned all the alternatives, using Onyx and Mainmenu, these are certainly a must use for Mac users.
I find running either one of these apps, not downloading-installing-uninstalling programs also helps keep my Macs running smooth. It is normal to notice a minimal slow down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I still do not find that performance setting under the energy save preference. (Running 10.4.9 with all updates)
hmmm.... Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Apple, option, P, R at startup before anything loads. hold them until the computer chimes and starts up again. Maybe some power settings are a little off. I do this every once and awhile, maybe it helps. I had to do it for awhile because the airport card kept shutting off every few days.
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Hello, recently went to a local Mac reseller to try out a newer iMac. I have a early 20" G5 with 1gb of ram. The G5 seems to run faster to me. I'd imagine its like everybody is saying, the OS and the Intel processor aren't getting along as well as they could. One could also speculate that the Leopard delays are related to the processor change. Do a little reading on Apple as a company and Steve Jobs and you will see they don't release anything until they are satisfied with it. When leopard comes out I'd expect your Intel Mac will scream.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.