My Macbook Pro Malfunctioning Already?!?!

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place.

My Macbook Pro is a 13inch and I bought it in August of this year. When I bought it, it ran a version of snow leopard (I upgraded to Lion today).

The Macbook has been giving me problem after problem the last few months.
First it was a airport problem I had finally changed my router to WPA and it resolved that problem, No big deal.

Then iMovie was not working right. It would not let me import any videos, I downloaded a converter and tried MP4, Mov, M4v, AVI, with no avail. The "optimizing video" notification popped up and disappeared. I tried making new events, projects, nothing was working.

I decided at that time that maybe upgrading to Lion would solve this, and make the Macbook Pro run smoother. I downloaded and upgraded to Lion, or should I say downgraded?

I settled the Macbook into the new OS and tried once more at iMovie, but the same thing happened.
When I opened Safari the windows glitches back in forth so quickly i couldn't close out of them.

Since I switched from a PC to Mac, I thought maybe a virus was effecting my new Mac, so I downloaded "Trend Micro Smart Surfing" that came with the Mac when i bought it and ran a sweep, no viruses were detected.

Should I bring in the Mac to the Apple store and try and have them look at the Mac?
It's a little unnerving that a computer this new would have so many problems.
I appreciate any help, thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To be honest...I don't think that I've heard of one person having as many problems with a new MacBook.

- sounds like the Airport problem was with the router
- not sure what's causing the iMovie issues
- upgrading to Lion shouldn't have be a source of problems...many people have done it problem free
- you don't have a virus...and downloading & installing an anti-virus/virus detection program will probably cause more problems than it solves

Sounds like the only "real" problem is with iMovie...and this could be a "user error" issue. I'm not an iMovie expert...so hopefully someone can help out with that.

Good luck...and welcome to Mac-Forums!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Should I be worried about what happened with Safari?
the shuttering and glitching around of the page when I opened it? it only happened once so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
"shuttering ang glitching around" are very vague descriptions. Please make a screen recording and post it on a video hosting site (there are tons) so we can see what you're talking about. To make the recording, open QuickTime, then from the menu bar choose "new screen recording".

You don't have a virus. Get rid of the virus program ASAP. The videos you're trying to import, where did you get them from?

Doug.

OP
M
Reaction score
Leave it to stupid Best Buy to sell you crap that is bad for your computer. They highly suggested that i spend the extra money on the Black Tie protection and the Virus Protection, which have done nothing good so far.
any way

The flickering has only happened once so unfortunately I don't think i could catch it again unless i screen capture every time I open safari in attempt to catch it again.

It flickered on and off
in the URL bar it kept saying "GO TO THIS WEBSITE"
and as I would try and click the red X of one page another would pop up just to the right, so that you would have to follow it across the screen.
I force quit it and a few seconds later it stopped.

The videos are from my camcorder, they are AVI originally, but I have converted them to many different formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Uuch, Best Buy numbskulls! They're so into the Windows mentality, thinking that anti virus is the answer to everything:Angry: I bet they still tell people to go into DOS mode and initiate "fdisk" every time something goes wrong:\

In regard to iMovie, some avi files will work and some will not. It depends upon the codec that was used to make it. The type of file native to iMovie is .mov and mpeg. However, I believe that if you have DivX encoded AVI files, they might import IF you have the DivX codec installed. In that case, try installing called Perian. Perian is like the Swiss army knife of codec installers for OS X. If that fails, you may have to re encode to the formats I spoke of.

Doug.

OP
M
Reaction score
If i install Perian, will it automatically allow access to the different codecs to iMovie?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for Perian. If the files do not open then, It's the format. A lot of people do not realize that AVI is just a container and there are many codecs connected with AVI. And Yes, Perian is a Codec and any app in OSX should use it.

Also don't listen to Best Buy, They treat OSX like Windows and Macs like PC's. Even most of the PC advice bugs me. It depends on the Geek Squad person (I have actually run into some smart ones here and there) but most I would not ask the time of day from! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Downloaded and installed Perian (the swiss army knife of codec installers lol)
when trying to open a video that normally wouldn't open on quick time it asked me to open with perian, i did, then it asked to update quick time, i am as i type.

I Don't understand how this will help though if i have already converted the videos to Mov? Do they keep the same codec even though they are already converted?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok updated both
I can now watch other videos in quick time, but still having the same issue in iMovie

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is your Camcorder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.