My mac has a virus!!

Reaction score
I clicked on a link that a friend sent me like a noob, and now my mac laughs constantly when i press any button while subtly saying what it is I've pressed. It also says its going to kill me which is kinda freaky. I dont know what damage it is doing to my hardware. I have one of the new basic macbooks, with mac OS X is it? Not sure exactly.

Anybody else know anything about this who can help?

Thanks.

Chris.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Very unlikely that you have a virus..you'll need to provide a LOT more information if you want any help..what link? Have you restarted your machine since clicking the link? What applications are running, can you close all of them and does it continue to do the noises?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I dont mean to be rude but....I doubt the validity of this post.

Clay

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More than being rude Clay..people think that others are mind readers on this forum..how does one expect to get ANY help without providing any information to even make an educated guess or..regardless of this issue being valid or not..I wanted to shout troll..but decided to give the OP the benefit of the doubt..

Regards

OP
B
Reaction score
This isnt troll, Im serious, I clicked on a link on facebook, then the next time I turned on my Macbook it just started laughing constantly and running a little slower. Ive shut it down at least 4 times since Ive got this, I have no applications running other than what it starts up with by default, and its very very annoying!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you share the link with us?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did the link prompt you to install anything and did it ask for your password.

Reaction score
The fact that the link you click is widely available to the public, that you have two posts, and that there are no media sources covering this like rabid wolves in the wild, your claim of a virus has as much credibility as Paris Hilton in Scientific America.

Yes I know, "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS."

Luckily this forum is very civilized. So they will entertain you. Might I suggest some other avenue of entertainment. Video games are pretty fun.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=88953
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-021614-4006-99&tabid=2

NOT A VIRUS. *sigh*

OP
B
Reaction score
BEWARE! This is the link! I clicked it, then it started downloading a file, Im not sure what the file was, but as soon as it downloaded it did nothing till I turned my mac on next, then the laughter started.

http://Bza-egg92.super-win-2010.ru

Be careful with this, cos if nobody knows what it is, then dont risk your mac.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Hey, Im being honest, im not taking the ****, im not spamming, this is serious! If you really dont believe me, click it and put yourelf through what I have over the past week. Im just looking for help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a time machine backup, then just go back to before you clicked the link..

Regards

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, Im being honest, im not taking the ****, im not spamming, this is serious! If you really dont believe me, click it and put yourelf through what I have over the past week. Im just looking for help.

The URL, despite being dead, is interesting. The domain name "super-win-2010.ru" has apparently hosted some kind of Windows-based malware. But your Mac can not run this (assuming you are actually running Mac OS X).

To date, there are no known Mac OS X viruses in the wild.

There are two known, active trojans. But Mac OS X 10.6 blocks their installation. You can tell us what version you're running by clicking the Apple menu, and clicking "About this Mac". Your version is listed there.

Additionally, there's a tool called "Voice Over", which can be accidentally activated by the user - it does not laugh, but it will read your screen and can announce keystrokes. You can disable this by pressing Fn-Command-F5.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Im at my work pc right now, but will find out later what version it is, and im fairly sure it is the voice over, it does exactly the same, but with laughter! I'll try switching it off later. Thanks.

OP
B
Reaction score
My mac is OS X version 10.5.8.

What Juan is describing could be it. I turned voice over off and that seems to have shut it up for now. Just some additional info on what happened i forgot about, when I switched on my mac for the first time since clicking the link, it rearranged all my keys to alter things like volume, and shortcuts, and mute, stuff like that, I only realized you could reset them after poking around a bit more, now I can use the default settings again just fine. If I cant get rid of this and it persists, I might just take it to the genius bar at my local Apple shop.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
I never knew that macs can get these viruses! You must of been on the wrong site buddy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no viri for OS X!

Go into your browser caches and do a deep clean. Trojans came with pirated software, particularly iWork from PirateBay.

Reaction score
lol, OP... what have u been drinking.... and are u gonna share?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.