My iPhoto is dysfunctional, affecting my whole computer system

Reaction score
Hello! Been having troubles with my iPhoto for days now. I was trying to declutter my iPad photo gallery so I connected it with my iPhoto to transfer my old photos in it. While doing this, I accidentally opened my iTunes. When it started syncing my iPad, it required me to update my iOS. I canceled it since I was still transferring photos with my iPhoto. Then, my iPhoto malfunctioned, getting my whole system stuck. Every time I open it, it gets stuck with the spinning wheel and the rest of my computer gets stuck also, or becomes significantly slower. I already tried SafeBooting and Restarting several times but no improvement so far. Can you help me?

Also, I have no back-up of my files. So, is there any other way to fix it without deleting my iPhoto then reinstalling it? I'd already updated my iOS to latest version and was planning to sync it thru iTunes but my iPhoto would automatically open then my whole system would get stuck as well.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
More details are needed here. What version of OS X are you running? What version of iPhoto? iTunes?

Get Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Perhaps that will iron this out. Download link in my signature. Also make sure your OS is fully updated, and those apps.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Clearly, what Lifeisabeach says is sound advice and should be followed through.

I only wanted to add that once you gain access to iPhoto you can go into Preferences > General and where it says something like "when connecting a camera (also includes iPhone)..." and gives you several options. One of these is "Do Nothing".

This will relieve you of the problem of iPhoto automatically opening when you sync through iTunes and crashing your system.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
More details are needed here. What version of OS X are you running? What version of iPhoto? iTunes?

Get Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Perhaps that will iron this out. Download link in my signature. Also make sure your OS is fully updated, and those apps.

I'm using OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 and iTunes 12.1.0.50. I don't know what version is my iPhoto since I cannot open it without getting my system crashed, but I think it's the latest version.

Thank you for the link! I'm now downloading Onyx for Yosemite.

OP
M
Reaction score
Clearly, what Lifeisabeach says is sound advice and should be followed through.

I only wanted to add that once you gain access to iPhoto you can go into Preferences > General and where it says something like "when connecting a camera (also includes iPhone)..." and gives you several options. One of these is "Do Nothing".

This will relieve you of the problem of iPhoto automatically opening when you sync through iTunes and crashing your system.

Ian

Thank you Ian!

OP
M
Reaction score
Onyx didn't fix my problem. My iPhoto still won't open. Worse, when I restarted my computer in SafeBoot mode, it went all white. I had to turn it off and start it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.