my iMac won't shut down an other problems

Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my iMac.
I have a 27" mid 2010 iMac 2.93 GHz intel Core i7 with 12gb memory and recently upgraded to Yosemite.
I've been getting the pinwheel a lot lately for some basic tasks. Some programs just seem to be acting "weird things" When I shut down the computer it doesn't always shut completely off. It will go through the process of shutting down and the screen goes black but just won't completely go off. I'll come back hours later and it still "on".
But this doesn't happen all the time( more often lately though)
And last night -poof- it just shut off ("crashed") A white screen came on with a message that said Your computer was shut down because of an internal problem. Luckily I wasn't doing anything important at the time.

Any ideas or suggestions??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And last night -poof- it just shut off ("crashed") A white screen came on with a message that said Your computer was shut down because of an internal problem. Luckily I wasn't doing anything important at the time.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Did it start up ok this morning?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah, it started up fine this morning and "seems" ok now, but some of the other problems I have seem to get arise as the day goes on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, it started up fine this morning and "seems" ok now, but some of the other problems I have seem to get arise as the day goes on.

Thanks for the info…wanted to be sure nothing permanent happened.

The "spinning wheel" can be caused by MANY things. Please read a couple of the links in my signature (beach balls & speedup)…and perform some of the solutions…and see if it helps.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Nick,
I checked out your links. I opened the Activity Monitor. I don't see anything that says Page Outs, but my Swap Used is at zero. My 1tb hard drive has about 580gb on it. I don't have MacKeeper or CleanMyMac, but I do have SmithMicro's CheckIt/TechTool Platinum. And I do have some Norton products running.

I googled Onyx, just to be sure this is from Titanium Software, it looks like it comes from France. This is the right one?

Also I forgot to mention in my post that some of programs that I use ( Dreamweaver / Fireworks / iTunes in particular- but others also) where I get the pinwheel will randomly crash.

While it is annoying the pinwheel doesn't bother me as much the random crashing and the not shutting down (unless I hold down the power button) that really worries me.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some advice: Get rid of all your Norton products - assuming here that you're running Norton Anti-Virus for the Mac? Norton eats resources and is known for slowing things down. And since it's not needed anyway, why run it?

Be sure to read our Sticky Posts in the Security forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Oh dear Symantec AV strikes again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.