My imac will only boot into windows

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help a muppet. I have just switched to an iMac, a week ago infact, after many years with a pc. The iMac is a 3.06gb, 500gb drive and 4 gb ram, and running snow leopard.
Because of my interest in family history all my files are for windows so after looking on the web descided to use bootcamp and use windows for those files.
My problem is now that on switching on it boots straight to windows, I have held down the option key, no difference. In windows it only shows the bootcamp drive as 20gb as had been set, no other partition.
I have tried booting with the disc (Mac OS X install DVD) in the drive but makes no difference.
Any help would be very appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Open the Bootcamp assistent in the system tray in windows.

Does it give you an option to set the startup disk?

OP
D
Reaction score
One of the problems is that because I have a wireless keyboard and mouse windows is not recognising the mouse and I have to use the keyboard, I can not see anything in the system tray as I cant use the mouse to get there. SORRY

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The wireless keyboard, it's it from Apple?

You HOLD DOWN OPTION and keep it down till a boot menu comes up. If your keyboard is not registering at that point, it will not work.

Tell us a bit more and what keyboard you are using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Then the first thing to do is to put the OSX disc in while running bootcamp. It'll autorun and you can use the keyboard to run the install to get all the drivers installed. That'll sort your mouse issue (unless you have/or can borrow a USB mouse).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wireless keyboard, it's it from Apple?

You HOLD DOWN OPTION and keep it down till a boot menu comes up. If your keyboard is not registering at that point, it will not work.

Tell us a bit more and what keyboard you are using.

If it is the Apple keyboard I also find pressing option once to bring it out out sleep and then holding it down is a more reliable way of getting the boot options to appear.

OP
D
Reaction score
Many thanks to mrplow and dtravis7 for the advise, I have now sorted the problems I had. Great to know you guys are there for expert advise.

Reaction score
My iMac will only boot into Windows 7

Hello, I have the exact same issue but not a wireless keyboard.
When I boot my iMac it only boot into Windows 7. I have tried many things, but it seems the keyboard and the mouse have power but no driver. So I can not do anything.

I brought my iMac to a Authorized Apple Repair Center they tell me it is a mainboard hardware issue. Nonsense!

I tried to boot with any bootable OS X install CD with no luck. When I boot with Windows 7 it starts to install but I am not able to move the mouse or enter anything with the keyboard.

So finaly I have formated the HD on a MacBook Pro with the GUID boot options but still the same issue. When I boot with the disconnected HD I get a DOS (??) message that there is no bootable device found. Also at boot up I never see the Apple logo. I guess there is a sort of Bios programed in Windows and not in Apple. Can anyone help me on this issue, please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need more info about your iMac. Year and model? Version of OS X you're running?

You indicate that you have a wired keyboard. How old is it and is it an Apple wired keyboard?

Also, your post is not very clear.... at first you're describing problems with an iMac and then you went into describing a problem formatting a HD on your MBP? What do they have to do with each other?

Reaction score
Yes, sorry for that. My Apple iMac A1224 21" has Intel and is late 2008, with OS X 10.06.02.

The keyboard Model No.: Apple A1243. Aluminium with white key and one each side a USB port.

Someone installed on this mac via bootcamp a 2nd OS which was Windows 7 Home 64 bit. I tried all kind of possible solutions until I decidet to format the HD to get rif of the Windows 7. But also a new formated HD did not chang anything on the situation that the Keyboard and Mouse dont work.

Sorry, for my bad English.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, sorry for that. My Apple iMac A1224 21" has Intel and is late 2008, with OS X 10.06.02.

That machine is actually an early 2008 iMac 20" model. There were two series of aluminum keyboards (wired) made by Apple. The older keyboard (first series) works with all Mac models and version of OS X. The newer keyboard requires Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and models from 2010 on to the present.

If you have a newer aluminum keyboard that would explain the problems you're having with it only booting to Windows 7.

Reaction score
Wow, that is quite interresting.
I also tried with different Dell Keyboards and other optical Mouse. Should that work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt a Dell keyboard would work because of the transposing of some of the keys. Any optical mouse should work though.

Reaction score
Ok, anyway, I will organize a older Apple keyboard but I tried all kind of HID's but non of them worked.
After all this try and error I have the feeling that the Mac has a Windoes programmed (sort-of) BIOS. Is there a way to reprogram it back to Apple? Or is it just a phantasy of mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got the Snow Leopard OS X.6 disk? Is it the retail install DVD or the original disc that came with the machine? Is it a system disc from any other model, silver/grey. will not boot. See you can boot from that by holding down 'C' after the chime, format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), go into Partition > Options and select GUID and do a clean install.

Upadte to OS X.6.8 and then try setting up Windows through Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your help.
I will try to boot it up with one of the CDs I have. One is the silver grey one which says Install Disk and the other one is the original Snow Lepard CD. Actually both of them should be bootable.
At the moment I have to get out the Windows 7 CD out of the drive. I guess I have to disasable the drive. Right after that I will return with all my test results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Before doing that try rebooting and holding down the mouse button whilst it loads and see if that works.

Reaction score
Here is what I tried today:
First I had to get out the Windows 7 DVD. So I tried what harryb2448 advised: I held down the mouse button and turn on the iMac. The red detection light on the mouse was on, so I assume it should work. But even after the 3rd boot up the DVD did not come out. It always boot directly from the DVD into Windows 7 setup. So I opened the DVD drive and took out the Fxxxxg Windows 7 DVD.

Then I boot up with the grey/silver "Mac OS X Install Disk 1" (OS X 10.5.4) C-button pressed. At the beginning I hear the sound, the screen turns white, and I hear the DVD drive moving back and forth like searching for a bootable section. Then suddenly the drive spits out the DVD. Then the monitor turns black and I see a DOS-curser blinking and after that a message saying:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

This is a typical Windows message! But in my case there is no Windows left on my already formatted HD. In this mode I don't have any possibilities to enter anything or to move my mouse. The same happend when I boot up with the "Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Install DVD" (Version 10.6).

Previously the iMac had a OSX and Windows 7 64bit installed but only boot up into Windows where I could not enter anything or even move the mouse.

Reaction score
Here is what I tried today:
First I hade to get out the Windows 7 DVD. So I tried what harryb2448 advised: I turn on the iMac and held down the mouse button. The red detection light on the mouse was on, so I assume it should work. But even after the 3rd boot up the DVD did not come out. It always boot directly from the DVD into Windows 7 setup. So I opened the DVD drive and took out the Fxxxxg Windows 7 DVD.

Then I boot up with the grey/silver "Mac OS X Install Disk 1" (OS X 10.5.4) C-button pressed. At the beginning I hear the sound, the screen turns white, and I hear the DVD drive moving back and forth like searching for a bootable section. Then suddenly the drive spits out the DVD. Then the monitor turns black and I see a DOS-curser blinking and after that a message saying:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

This is a typical Windows message! But in my case there is no Windows left on my already formatted HD. In this mode I don't have any possibilities to enter anything or to move my mouse. The same happend when I boot up with the "Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Install DVD" (Version 10.6).

Previously the iMac had a OSX and Windows 7 64bit installed but only boot up into Windows where I could not enter anything or even move the mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.