My iMac G5 died while asleep.

Reaction score
In 2004/05 (I'm not exaclty sure) I bought a brand new 17" iMac G5.

Last night I turned on my computer, did some chores around the house & returned 20 min later.

My Mac was in sleep mode with the screen black & the LED light pulsing. I hit the "return" key to wake up my computer. Usually when I do this the LEd light turns off & the screen turns on... but last night when I hit "return", the light turned off, but the screen stayed black.

After that I tried turning on my computer but it would not turn on when I hit the on/off button in the back. No chimes, no light, no nothing, as if it weren't even plugged in.

I was curious if any other Mac users expereinced the same problem? And if they managed a way to get computer turned on again.

I want to take it to my local Apple store, but I have some "adult" material on my desktop & I'm emberassed to bring it in or ship it off to have it repaired. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do before facing utter emberassment. :(

Reaction score
Hi, I experienced pretty much the same thing with my iMac PPC G5 last year. I put it to sleep for the night and it fell into a coma. Nothing could wake it up. I took it to the AppleStore and they replaced the faulty part (can't recall if it was the logicboard or powersupply).

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, I experienced pretty much the same thing with my iMac PPC G5 last year. I put it to sleep for the night and it fell into a coma. Nothing could wake it up. I took it to the AppleStore and they replaced the faulty part (can't recall if it was the logicboard or powersupply).

When they repaired you computer, did they do it in-store? If so, how long was the process? Or did they send it off?

Reaction score
Well, they needed to order the part so it was at least 5 - 8 days. But my mac would have been sitting there for 95% of that time and I wished I could have just brought it in when the part arrived but don't know if they'd allow that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I want to take it to my local Apple store, but I have some "adult" material on my desktop & I'm emberassed to bring it in or ship it off to have it repaired. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do before facing utter emberassment. :(

You could always remove the hard disk, there's a PDF link below on how to do this:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacg5_17inch_HardDrive.pdf

Then tell them you have sensitive data on there or place the drive in another Mac and backup up the contents then wipe it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.