my iMac can't get on 5g wifi

Reaction score
hi, I have a 2017 Imac. recently I found my wifi speed a little bit slow. after I called my internet provider fido, the technician asked me to switch to a 5g wifi under same user's name. I tried to get on this 5g wifi and it was keeping saying invalid password. my iPhone is easily connected with no problem at all. can anybody tell me what the problem is? thank you. James

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi, I have a 2017 Imac. recently I found my wifi speed a little bit slow. after I called my internet provider fido, the technician asked me to switch to a 5g wifi under same user's name. I tried to get on this 5g wifi and it was keeping saying invalid password. my iPhone is easily connected with no problem at all. can anybody tell me what the problem is? thank you. James

Hello James...welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

Is your iPhone auto-connecting to your wifi router 5g network? If so...that's probably due to the password for your routers 5g wifi band having been entered & "remembered" by the iPhone from when your iPhone first successfully connected in the past.

It's possible that if you're attempting to connect your 2017 iMac to your WiFi routers 5g band/network for the first time...that the incorrect password is being used.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks. my iPhone was connected to my original wifi which is named James , I manually searched for James 5g and get on it automatically. but my iMac failed.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't change password

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks. my iPhone was connected to my original wifi which is named James , I manually searched for James 5g and get on it automatically. but my iMac failed.

When we're discussing different WiFi router bands or networks...saying "original wifi" isn't clear. If you have a dual band router...I'm guessing that the "original wifi" network is the 2.4 Ghz band & the 2nd band is the 5g band.

If your iPhone is connecting "automatically" to the 5g band...unless you tell us otherwise...to me "automatically" means you don't need to enter the 5g network password each time your iPhone connects (since your iPhone is "remembering" the login information for your 5g network).

Since this is the first time you're connecting your 2017 iMac to your routers 5g band...maybe you're not using the correct password (it happens all the time).

Nothing was said about you changing the password...what I'm saying is maybe you're entering the incorrect password when trying to login with your iMac to the 5g network.

If you're entering the correct password...then there should be no issue connecting to your routers 5g band/network. If you are having an issue connecting to your routers 5g network...then it's probably due to entering the incorrect password.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.