My girlfriends ibook is running kinda slow

M

menace3054

my gf has a 12" 800 mhz, 368mb ram, 30gb hd ibook g4. in one of her classes today, she used her ibook while the rest of the class used gateway laptops. they arent that new, presumably p3m processors. with standard ram. she said when they were running excel, and doing calculations, the gateways were much faster than her ibook. she said the ibook took forever to calc. stuff. is that normal? or what could be wrong.. shes only had the laptop for 3 weeks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What OS is she running? Have repair permissions and crons (Mac janitor) been run rightly?

OP
V

vuschejan

witeshark said:
What OS is she running? Have repair permissions and crons (Mac janitor) been run rightly?

Just curious How do i run those on my ibook? ive seen them posted but that was before i got it and im not sure how to do it now.

OP
M

menace3054

she has the newest version of panther. i ran mac janitor and repaired permissions 1x weekly, most recently yesterday. she said the laptops our school *u of a* uses, are kinda old and crappy. she said it was slow during the fill down command, calculating 5000 or so entries. but she said the gateways did it a lot faster

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Make sure to log off and log back on. Finder > Applications >Utilities > Terminal. There type sudo sh /etc/daily and so on (weekly, monthly) Repair permissions is Finder > Applications > Utilities Disk Utility Select volume click repair permissions

OP
M

menace3054

witeshark said:
Make sure to log off and log back on. Finder > Applications >Utilities > Terminal. There type sudo sh /etc/daily and so on (weekly, monthly) Repair permissions is Finder > Applications > Utilities Disk Utility Select volume click repair permissions

I Went into terminal and typed sudo sh/etc/daily and it said command not found. well, first it gave me a lecture about respecting other's privacy, and think before you type. anyway. what am i doing wrong? thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
menace3054 said:
I Went into terminal and typed sudo sh/etc/daily and it said command not found. well, first it gave me a lecture about respecting other's privacy, and think before you type. anyway. what am i doing wrong? thx

No need to do this if you've already run all of the scripts in MacJanitor and repaired the disk permissions, as you said you had. The problem may just be that that particular function of Excel doesn't run as quickly or efficiently in the Mac version of Excel as it does in the Windows version. Also, is she using the latest Office Mac version? I don't know whether any speed improvements have been made in the latest edition, but perhaps they have.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Witeshark,

I've noticed you are recommending "repair permission" a lot. I'm sure repairing permission will fix many problems resulting from corruption, but is there any evidence that it will actually speed up the computer as the original poster was asking?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I've noticed speed increases.

DO NOT USE ONYX IT MADE MY COMPUTER SLOW!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Absolute Zero said:
DO NOT USE ONYX IT MADE MY COMPUTER SLOW!! :(

Can you elaborate on this, Zero? I use OnyX regularly, and haven't noticed any problems. I'm wondering how/why it affected yours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Repair crons & permissions??

To date, i've never done this. Whitshark, is there anything you really know about your computer apart from "repair permissions and crons"... I bet you was the kid using the PC that manually edited the registry deleting and modifying it; only to cause more errors. Then you blame Windows for the problems.

*initialize Whitshark's registry and upgrades ameba for hydra*

:D

Sometimes corrupted files will cause you slow downs, it's more lightly to be heat related. Try restarting your system, removing any Memory Module you have added recently. Faulty hardware could be your other reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing you might want to investigate is whether her Energy Saver settings had the processor set to "Reduced Performance" or not. This would have a significant effect on the speed of the machine during processor-intensive tasks. In the future, she may also want to invest in a some additional RAM, but I doubt that was part of the problem in this case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Permissions can be surprisingly important, and crons help conserve space. hype.it: YUP I cruised REGEDIT alot, but always came out successful. My first ever pc was a wintel95 and the MSN desktop inbox couldn't be deleted, until I found out it's registry key! :p

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i will agree with whiteshark..my powerbookw as slowing down when i first got it..i runt he permissions and crons all the time now and defintly notice a difference. even apple themselves suggest doing this on a regual basis..well except for the crons.. if your not a fan of running the crons you can change the crons time to a better time for your usage in terminal ( by default if you dont know crons run at 2-6am when most computer are off or sleeping )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hmm... I used OnyX last night. I cleared EVERYTHING hoping for a speed boost. It look like a minute and a half just to boot.

I'm noticing some speed now though...

OP
V

vuschejan

witeshark said:
Permissions can be surprisingly important, and crons help conserve space. hype.it: YUP I cruised REGEDIT alot, but always came out successful. My first ever pc was a wintel95 and the MSN desktop inbox couldn't be deleted, until I found out it's registry key! :p

What is a cron?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute Zero said:
Hmm... I used OnyX last night. I cleared EVERYTHING hoping for a speed boost. It look like a minute and a half just to boot.

I'm noticing some speed now though...

I think the delay has a lot to do with the fact that OnyX clears certain caches and "resets" certain things, so it takes a bit of time to boot up on the initial restart. I've noticed a delay upon the initial reboot too, but after that, it's great. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats good to know. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.