My first mac - MB or MBP?

Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the market for a new laptop as my Asus F9J-A1 (spec here if you're interested) is just so slow to start up (running Vista) that I have basically stopped using it. This now means that every time I do bother booting it up there are loads of MS updates to get which makes it even slower!

Anyway, I have always fancied a mac so I think now is the time to get one. I was hoping you kind folks could help me decide between a MB and a MBP.

I will mostly be using the laptop for browsing the web, playing poker, watching films when travelling etc. However I also need to be able to run Parallels or equivalent so I can run metatrader (a programme used for trading forex which is unavailable for mac). I'm not concerned about playing games etc as I have my main rig for that. I also want it to be quick to boot up!

This is how my thinking is going at the moment:

MBP - more powerful, sexier etc but significantly more expensive. Has the negative of a new model coming out soon, although I could wait a couple of months to see what happens.

MB - much cheaper and it was released more recently so a refresh shouldn't come out too soon. But is it powerful enough?

Sorry for the stream of conciousness!

Over to you guys!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Don't underestimate a MB. The MB and the low end 13" MBP has nearly the same specs.

Linky. Aside from missing a few hardware features and Polycarbonate vs aluminum it's essentially the same. The one thing the MBP has over the MB is the screen quality.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all
This is how my thinking is going at the moment:

MBP - more powerful, sexier etc but significantly more expensive. Has the negative of a new model coming out soon, although I could wait a couple of months to see what happens.

MB - much cheaper and it was released more recently so a refresh shouldn't come out too soon. But is it powerful enough?

Well if it makes things any easier...currently there is only 1 MacBook model & 6 MacBook Pro models. So if for some reason you don't like the MacBook (possibly because of the white polycarbonate case)...then your pretty much only considering the MacBook Pro Models.

Of the 6 MacBook Pro models if you're not interested in the 17"...then that leaves 5 MBP models to choose from.

Then you can decide 13" or 15" display. If you want a smaller footprint...then you have two 13" MBP models to choose from. Or if you want the larger 15" display...then you have 3 models to choose from.

These are really the initial BIG deciding factors on which laptop to purchase (cost & display size). Once you've decided that (and narrowed things down to just 2-3 models)...then you can get more detailed regarding the CPU speed & graphics hardware.

The ram & hard drive you can upgrade yourself...so don't bother with those differences/details.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Don't underestimate a MB. The MB and the low end 13" MBP has nearly the same specs.

Linky. Aside from missing a few hardware features and Polycarbonate vs aluminum it's essentially the same. The one thing the MBP has over the MB is the screen quality.

So you don't see any issues with the MacBook being able to handle what I need it for?

I am starting to think 13inch is a better size for me. More portable and lighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fall 09 macbook
I have the 13 inch white unibody macbook and I love it. The aluminum design of the MBP is really nice but my philosophy of it is if I will get a MBP I'm either getting a 15 or 17 inch

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
So you don't see any issues with the MacBook being able to handle what I need it for?

I am starting to think 13inch is a better size for me. More portable and lighter.

I run Windows 7 in VM ware with only 1GB of RAM and it runs very smoothly.

OP
J
Reaction score

I run Windows 7 in VM ware with only 1GB of RAM and it runs very smoothly.

So how does that work then? Do you have to buy a copy of windows to install through VM Ware/Parallels and then you can install any windows programmes you need? Sorry, Mac novice here!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how does that work then? Do you have to buy a copy of windows to install through VM Ware/Parallels and then you can install any windows programmes you need? Sorry, Mac novice here!

Yes, and linky here on which Windows OS it works with. Parallel is similar just google for it. >_<"

Reaction score
I bought the lower spec 13" MBP a month ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. And it's the perfect size for me--very portable but still comfortable to use. I like the MBP over the MB because it has a better display and is built sturdier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP2.26/4GbRAM
isn't the screen quality the same for the MB and the MBP? I think I read a review somewhere that the new unibody MB have the same screen the MBPs have.

Edit: Oh right, the MBP has 60% more color gamut.
Whatever that means.

Reaction score
isn't the screen quality the same for the MB and the MBP? I think I read a review somewhere that the new unibody MB have the same screen the MBPs have.

Edit: Oh right, the MBP has 60% more color gamut.
Whatever that means.

Actually, that was my bad. I think the displays may be the same spec-wise since the MB was updated last October. One difference though is that the MBP had edge-to edge glass and the MB does not. I also like prefer the MBP's black frame to the MB's white frame when it comes to photo and video viewing.

Reaction score
Looks like my turn to chime in...

I've had both MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Both are good, and will do what you need them to. (I would suggest partitioning your HD so you can boot up in windows instead of using parallels. It will run MUCH fast. you just cannot use mac and windows at the same time though)

I would get a MacBook Pro. the unibody design is great, and the turnaround on them is much better. What I mean is that is you ever want to upgrade people hear pro they are willing to pay a bit more, and right now the prices are so close at the apple store. They are almost the same insides for the low end macbook pro, and macbook, so the cost will be a little bit at the start, but will pay out much more in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
I just got my new mp this week, I sat in best buy for about an hour looking at the mb and mbp next to each other and besides the backlit keyboard and sd card slot there is not much difference, and bb had the mb on for 1199 cdn with 4 gb ram and 320 hdd.

Reaction score
Looks like my turn to chime in...

I've had both MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Both are good, and will do what you need them to. (I would suggest partitioning your HD so you can boot up in windows instead of using parallels. It will run MUCH fast. you just cannot use mac and windows at the same time though)

I would get a MacBook Pro. the unibody design is great, and the turnaround on them is much better. What I mean is that is you ever want to upgrade people hear pro they are willing to pay a bit more, and right now the prices are so close at the apple store. They are almost the same insides for the low end macbook pro, and macbook, so the cost will be a little bit at the start, but will pay out much more in the end.

Really good point on the MBP resale. Chances are when you do go to resell it, it will be in much better shape cosmetically than the MB.

Reaction score
i personally picked the MBP over the MB because 200$ really isnt that much, and the backlit keyboard is a def winner for me [ i work in the dark alot]

but also i think the resale value will be higher then the MB,because of the design and look as stated above
and in tow years or less i WILL be sellin my 13" MBP for a 15" MBP because i will have my photography degree by then and will start needing the extra landscape, better graphics chip offered in the big one :)

t-minus 4 days till mine :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.