my first mac, I need help for upgrading

Reaction score
Hello Everybody, I don't know if Im posting in the right section but here's my deal..
A friend of mine offered me an "old" macbook unibody 5,1 MB467LL/A to be more specific, for just 550$, right now I don't have the money to afford a new one but I think is a great deal and the machine is like new.

I was googling about changing the 2gb Ram and ended up in this forum! I know that with snow leopard the 4gb limitation is gone, and you can put 8gb on this mac..

What brand do you recommend? This mac only supports 1066mhz PC3-8500 rams or can handle some 1333mhz?

Yesterday I added to my cart some Corsair Mac memories that were 51$
Amazon.com: Corsair Apple 8 GB Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) 204-Pin DDR3 Laptop SO-DIMM Memory CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7: Electronics
Today they're only 36,99$!!

I never used this brand on an apple product, is it good? or should I buy the one that most people recommend in this forum:
Amazon.com: Kingston Apple 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module (KTA-MB1066K2/8G): Computers & Accessories

Also I've read in many sites that this machine can't handle very well the Lion OSX.. It overheats a lot, crash, and other issues, anyone in here tried the lion on the macbook 5,1?

May sound stupid but I can't find the difference between this non "pro" and a macbook PRO :Shouting: (comparing with others late 2008)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Download a little utility called Mactracker. It lists all Mac models, specifications, operating systems, memory requirements etc. Do not purchase the 1333MHz memory as it will never operate at that speed, just the 1066MHz.

Mke sure you get the systems disc, and the original install discs and manuals.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks man.. I've downloaded the MacTracker in my ipad.. There's almost no difference with the "pros" versions of late 2008 and early 2009, benchmark numbers are very similar. Now, comparing with 2011 mbp 13´´ there's A LOT of difference wich brings me the next question, Will I get similar performance If I upgrade the mb 5,1 2,4ghz with a Crucial m4 SSD and Corsair 8gb Ram?

Reaction score
If you are talking about upgrading the processor, it is nearly impossible because they are actually soldered in by Apple....as for the memory, I personally wouldn't mess with solid state, as they are very expensive compared to conventional hard drives (even the SSD's are a little quick, more secure and more energy efficient). And from a personal experience, 8 gb of RAM is a ton in these machines. I have 8 gbs if it in my laptop and I always have at least 5.5 gigs of it free :/

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah I know that 8gb probably wouldn't use it at all but price difference between 4 and 8gb ram is stupid. My friend said to me that she will lower the price to 500$ if I wait one month till she gets her new macbook air.. What do you think about that huh? I have another question, can you put a better mAh battery on these old macbooks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.