My Final Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The store here has been noted in the news about customer support and service with troubled Macs

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
The store here has been noted in the news about customer support and service with troubled Macs
"Give us $300 for Apple Care and we will help you" isn't very helpful.

OP
D

d4rr3n

lnetubaplyr said:
I don't know what i can say to that, i have no motivation to lie, i'm just telling you how it is.

Maybe i came off a little hard, i'm not saying you are lying. What i'm saying is that you were running different settings on each machine, IMO it would have to be a large difference in settings and resolution. You probably didn't notice it, and some games even if you set them for higher settings will scale it back based on your hadware. So even if you set them to high settings the game could override that and set it to low. Either way, there is no way a radeon 7200 could outperform a radeon 9500 at the same graphical settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
"Give us $300 for Apple Care and we will help you" isn't very helpful.
Zero, quit being iIdiot OK how often are you in Miami? ;)

OP
N

nicholas

Wow, if you'd rather take an Alienware (not to mention their tech support located in India) over Apple in terms of sheer stability, you must have gotten a real piece of dying malfunctioning short-circuiting dog doo doo, cause Area 51's and Aurora 64FX's freeze like your momma couldn't even imagine.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
Zero, quit being iIdiot OK how often are you in Miami? ;)
Absolut3ly Zero: ill be nice, santa will put me on his naughty list again

And uhh, I've never been to Miami, sometimes I go to Florida, but that only happends like once every 4 years.

OP
L

lnetubaplyr

nicholas said:
Wow, if you'd rather take an Alienware (not to mention their tech support located in India) over Apple in terms of sheer stability, you must have gotten a real piece of dying malfunctioning short-circuiting dog doo doo, cause Area 51's and Aurora 64FX's freeze like your momma couldn't even imagine.

Well thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard, never had a problem with my alienware for over a year and they are located in florida. I believe that my ibook shipped from taiwan, my alienware shipped from florida. I would gladly buy another alienware before another apple. Call their tech support bad, call their hardware bad, atleast they give you a year! You obviously never owned and alienware and you probably never will. have a good macincrashtic life.

Also, i'm a gammer and i know all settings i have set. Its a sheer fact that the G4 is the set back on that ibook. Argue if you will, but a 9200 is a decent card. I use a 9800 pro in my aw and a 9600 in my current laptop, running everything set to medium and 800x600 res, 32bit colors, everythings the same. Either the g4 sucks, or the software sucks.

OP
M

Matt

Inetubaplyr, you make me think. I have never owned an Apple but have an obsession with their looks and their higly regarded comments and am seriously consitering one in the future. Maybe people should give Windows a break, ya know, it's not that bad. Maybe a Machintosh isn't worth it. I like Windows XP, in a way, although, I am sick of Windows. Thats' why one day I will buy a Machintosh, and I either will never look back, or retreat straight back to Windows. While I'm here, your talking about performance, right?? Well what Mac specs/model would match up to my Sony Vaio 12" P4 microprocessor, 1.8Ghz, 256MB OF RAM Windows XP HE???? Note I paid 1,800 AU for this machine in America. Is the G4 really slower than a Celeron Chip, I hate to say it, but if thats's the case, that's not good. Plus, is Mac OSX "Panther" Faster or slower than Windows XP home edition??? Sorry, I had a sudden burst of curiousity. :) :) :) :)

OP
N

Nightblade

lnetubaplyr said:
I believe that my ibook shipped from taiwan, my alienware shipped from florida.

****, that's a really disturbing thought, that Apple is conducting slave labor, while Alienware isn't....

OP
M

MoltenLava

Matt said:
Inetubaplyr, you make me think. I have never owned an Apple but have an obsession with their looks and their higly regarded comments and am seriously consitering one in the future. Maybe people should give Windows a break, ya know, it's not that bad. Maybe a Machintosh isn't worth it. I like Windows XP, in a way, although, I am sick of Windows. Thats' why one day I will buy a Machintosh, and I either will never look back, or retreat straight back to Windows. While I'm here, your talking about performance, right?? Well what Mac specs/model would match up to my Sony Vaio 12" P4 microprocessor, 1.8Ghz, 256MB OF RAM Windows XP HE???? Note I paid 1,800 AU for this machine in America. Is the G4 really slower than a Celeron Chip, I hate to say it, but if thats's the case, that's not good. Plus, is Mac OSX "Panther" Faster or slower than Windows XP home edition??? Sorry, I had a sudden burst of curiousity. :) :) :) :)

The perceived speed on the Mac will be based on your expectation. If you know that a Mac will be somewhat slower than your PC, you might be in for a pleasant surprise that your new Mac is quicker than what you expected. Conversely, if you set a high expectation you will be disappointed by it.

Mac is not for everyone. You might like the way Windows work in certain way. You might be very sensitive about the speed of certain aspect of UI, whether it's windows popup, dragging, etc, and you tend to notice the speed difference a lot.

What I would suggest is to look at the forrest, and not try to pick out a couple of withering tree. You will get overall better experience using OS X. If you get tied up in a few small issue with OS X, you'll never be able to enjoy it fully.

The often made analogy of Mac and PC is to cars. Mac is like BMW. It's classy with rich appointment of materials, options, and has decent performance. PC is like Ford. They are made for mainstream buyers. The material quality used is horrible. Nevertheless they get the job done as a transportation mechanism.

A Ford Mustang is faster and cheaper than a BMW 3 series. So what? Can you conclude which one is a better car sorely based on the price and horsepower?

I'm sure a lot of people will be very happy with their Ford purchase. But there is a reason for the market segment for BMW and other luxury cars. It fills the need where the mainstream cars don't provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I think it completely depends on exactly which computer you get.. and I don't mean which type, I mean which one.. I get a powerbook, you get a powerbook, one is great, one bytes (get it? *smirk*) :) I have had my powerbook for 3 1/2 years and I have only had one kernal panic and everything else has been great.. sure it's getting slower now that there is bigger and better software that I am using that is requiring bigger and better processors, but it definitely does everything I need it to do and when I got it, up to two years ago all the software, everything I did ran very fast. Now my friend who works for me once in awhile has a pc laptop and he had nothing but trouble with it.. and now it doesnt even work, so he can't even use it until he pays for some expensive hardware to get it back up and running. I have a massive amount of people that I know that have nothing but problems with their pc's and then there are those that have troubles with their macs, especially during that time that Apple was putting out subpar hardware, due to bad QA testing.

I have had nothing but wonderful experiences and I am not an apologist at all, I know what I have experienced and the people around me have experienced and it's not even a hard choice.. I will be purchasing macs until they give me more trouble then the pc's that my friends have, then I just might switch. We all have had different experiences.. obviously and you have to do what you have to do to be up and working.. if that is to buy a pc because your mac experience has been horrible, then you definitely need to do that! or vice versa.. it's pretty simple.. and one day you might start having serious problems with your pc and decide.. man Im going to try mac again.. I just can't hang with these problems anymore.. and then later on after buying a mac you might have problems again.. it's a back and forth race between mac and pc's.. it's always been around and will continue to be so.. The mac was far superior than PC's for a long time.. then they grew stagnent and PC's rocked over Macs and that's when I went back to PC's.. then OS X came out and I tried mac again.. and it didnt give me half the problems that my pc was giving me.. so the next time I bought.. I got a mac.. havent looked back since..

Again it's user experience and Im sorry that yours was so subpar, and I appreciate your comments, and I appreciate the mac users comments, but to say what is right for me is right for you and vice versa.. no matter who is saying it.. is kind of thinking everyone should be the same as me.. not a good thing to think.

Enjoy your pc, I really hope it works out for you and it sounds like it has so far and you've been one of the lucky pc users just like I've been one of the lucky mac users.. so let's be happy for using our computer of choice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I just wanted to chime in with my opinion. I have been a diehard PC user for 15 years, all the way from MS DOS up to Windows XP. I'm a systems administrator and work mainly with PCs. At home, I only use my Powerbook. Why did I switch? Several reasons.

For starters, when you erase a program in OS X, there's no files left behind. In Windows, you have to reformat once a year because so much crap gets built up on your drive, and in your registry. I was absolutely anal about keeping Win XP clean and still have to reformat now and then. Secondly, when you DO reformat, finding and backing up all of your stuff in Windows is a joke. It took me an hour the first time, to find where Outlook stashed my data. Crap is just thrown all over the drive in Microsoft's maze of nonsensical folders. In OS X it's a pure Unix file structure. In other words, drag your home folder to your backup drive, and you're done. And when you do that, you're also backing up your address book, iCal, and even your little auto-completes in Safari, and your saved passwords and whatnot.

As for speed, I will agree that Macs are slower. There's simply no debating that. I still use my Athlon 2400 PC for gaming. As for stability, I would say OS X and Win XP are identical. Both are very stable operating systems. This is of course, assuming your PC doesn't get infested with viruses and spyware.

Lastly, there's little things about Mac that just hooked me, and I love. Such as when I'm typing in a messenger to a friend, and the OS automatically spell checks for me. This works in any app and it's wonderful. Or how about the auto-form fill in feature? I love that. I REALLY love that I can just close the lid on my Powerbook at the end of class, and slip it into my backpack. At the start of each class, all these people are booting up their PCs and they look at me funny when I just open the lid of my Powerbook and start typing.

As for price, the Dell 600M I was looking at getting (wanted something small) was $1800. I paid $1550 for my Powerbook. There's simply no comparison there.

I'm glad you're happy with at least one platform, and Athlon's are great chips. I personally have had it with Windows. I still love PCs, but I only run Unix/Linux on them. I switched to this Mac about 6 months ago and I don't see myself ever going back.

Oh and just for the record, several of my friends including my girlfriend all used my Powerbook and loved it so much that they went out and bought one. They all love them, and feel the same way. The fact is, you're in the minority, almost nobody switches to Mac and regrets it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
lnetubaplyr said:
i know i've owned gateways, hps, compaqs, emachines, toshibas, alienwares,

If you've owned so many different machines, obviously you must be very choosy about what you used. Everybody here knows Macs are not really for gaming, but then again, why would i wanna play a game on my Powerbook when i can use one of the brilliant applications that my Powerbook can use with ease. I'm a longtime windows user, and still am, but after having a Powerbook for a few months, i know how much more powerful it is when running application. And, for those who know this, clock speeds don't mean diddly squat when making comparisons. My friend at work is slowly falling in love with my Powerbook, he's a hardcore pc user, does all the usual ip changing and chasing games, hacking etc, very knowledgable, but he knows enough not to slag off Macs, simply because they're both so different.

OP
L

lnetubaplyr

clock speeds don't mean diddly squat when making comparisons.

Thats why i was using fps (frames per second) its a good unit of measurement for me because it dictates my playing.

I don't understand the "macs arn't for gamming". You all say they can do video editing. I can do anything and everything on my desktop with either my athlon or my p4 system, games, video editing, typing, putting it on standby.

As for the BWM vs Ford thing. That has to be the biggest bunch of bull i've ever heard. Options? HA. What options? The option of NOT having a mic port? The option of crappy support? Would you buy a BMW without one tail light? Or with a warrenty that only covered the trunk lid, for 90 days? You can't compare macs to bmws and pcs to fords, just b/c there are more pcs that macs floating around doesn't mean that macs must be better or have more "options". Tell me if you would be happy with a bmw that you bought for 45000 dollars. And it didnt' have a radio, the dealer tells you, well bmws just arn't made to have radios. Then you high tail it down to your honda dealer (i hate fords too :)) and get a accord DX (low end) and it has a radio, and can drive just as nice as the bmw. Would you want the dealer to be truthful to you, telling you it had to radio in the first place? not have people on THIS FORUM say it would be faster in all aspects. I'm not saying you all are resellers for apple but if you'd like to see your beloved company grow i would think it would be nice to get a truthful answer.

If anything apples are like hybrids, cost more, crappy performance, and a few smooth edges.

Basically i game on any computer, thats what i think they are best for, and if someone said "don't buy a mac for gamming, they suck" i would have closed the apple store window and never looked back. But b/c at least 3 people said it would be "faster" than my celeron i believe it.

I guess my whole point to this thread was to complain about my crappy situation with apple, not to offend anyone, or say that their computer sucks. I do believe that not all computers will work for all people and thats why we have so many companies so you get exactly what you want. It just seems that you shouldn't have to spend 600 dollars to find out.

OP
D

d4rr3n

lnetubaplyr said:
I don't understand the "macs arn't for gamming".

It's because most games are built from the ground up to run on PC hardware and mac's are just an afterthought. Go to the apple website and look at the amazing selection of games or gaming hardware (video card/sound card). There just aren't many options when it comes to gaming on a mac and that's why they say "macs aren't for gaming". It's a pretty simple concept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
lnetubaplyr said:
I do believe that not all computers will work for all people

The more i think about it, the more likely it was you got a bad Apple out of the barrel to quote the user that coined this phrase. Gaming sucks on Macs, but video and photo editing on macs wipe the floor all over pcs. I'll hold my hands up and admit i did get a little defensive when i read this thread, but at the end of the day, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but you gotta be ready to back it up as you've seen here first hand with people here having their own say.

OP
L

lnetubaplyr

We're all going to have our own opinions, wether or not i can "back it up" to yours or anyone elses standards is irrelevant.

I'm sure many people come to this site before buying a mac, read around, find it on google, thats what i did. i accomplished my goal of sending out a message that macs are not a one stop solution to all your computer problems.

To anyone who reads this: Please take into consideration all opinions. As you can see, if you're into video editing by all means consider and apple. If you're into gamming, please take my mistake for your gain.

Thank You.

Rob.

OP
S

sirlan

I recently switched to an iBook with absolutely no regrets or problems. Of course, I wouldn't have switched if all I cared about was speed for gaming.
No computer is a "one stop solution" for anyone. That's why it's important to do research first and figure out what you really want to use one for. As for me, I've been so impressed over the past few months I don't plan on switching back to a PC for any reason.

OP
N

Nightblade

lnetubaplyr said:
If anything apples are like hybrids, cost more, crappy performance, and a few smooth edges.

Macs are like hybrids? Then that's a compliment! Of all the cars out there, hybrids are the friendliest to the environment, and even though they may cost more, they're probably less money to maintain, as they don't need as much gas as normal cars since they only run on gas for half of their operation, while clean electricity powers the rest. So, they're friendlier for the environment, and if I ever got a car (out of the choices available now), I would definitely go for the hybrid. I want to extend global warming as far away as possible.
:)

Now, SUVs also cost more. And, while I don't know much about their performance, they're TERRIBLE for the environment (they guzzle gas insanely quickly), and are more dangerous (both to the people and cars surrounding the SUV, and even the people inside the SUV itself, including the driver!). Also, I think SUVs tip over more easily.

So, if you wanted to insult Macs, you should've compared them to SUVs. :p

OP
S

sirlan

That's a good point. I'm as satisfied with my hybrid as I am with my Mac. Sure, I'd like a little more power but the other benefits generally outweigh the benefit of speed. That goes for both my Mac and my hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.