My Dad's iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
My Dad bought an iMac last year for $150 it has 160gb hardrive core 2 duo processor and 2.5gb ram I have noticed that it is very slow when surfing the web i was wondering if it was still worth upgrading and if you can upgrade it anymore it is a late 2006 imac
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That machine can not have 2.5 GB of memory. It either has 2 GB of memory or 1 GB depending on the modules that are installed. To answer your question, it's an old machine only capable of being updated to Lion (10.7.5) and probably should not run anything greater than Snow Leopard (10.6.8). You can add more memory (2 x 2 GB modules) but the maximum the machine will recognize is 3 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My Dad bought an iMac last year for $150 it has 160gb hardrive core 2 duo processor and 2.5gb ram I have noticed that it is very slow when surfing the web i was wondering if it was still worth upgrading and if you can upgrade it anymore it is a late 2006 imac

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Well, you probably already know that this is not a great computer, i.e. nearly 10 years old, low capacity HD (not sure how filled it may be?), & low RAM - your Dad deserves a better and more recent machine, if useful to him.

Please provide some more information: 1) How old is your father and how well physically is he to handle a computer; 2) How is he attached to the internet; 3) What are his main uses for a computer; and 4) What is his budget for a new or used/refurbished computer? Might help us to provide better recommendations. Dave

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
That machine can not have 2.5 GB of memory. It either has 2 GB of memory or 1 GB depending on the modules that are installed. To answer your question, it's an old machine only capable of being updated to Lion (10.7.5) and probably should not run anything greater than Snow Leopard (10.6.8). You can add more memory (2 x 2 GB modules) but the maximum the machine will recognize is 3 GB.

It says it cant because they didnt have ram at the time to push it up that high it will not boot wit 3gbs i already tried

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When on the internet…one of the biggest hardware issues with this 9+ year old iMac is the graphics hardware. Just can't handle all of the graphics many webpages contain in 2015.

This computer can certainly still be used for a lot of things…the user just needs to adjust their expectations (it ain't a new computer & it's not going to run like a new computer).;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It says it cant because they didnt have ram at the time to push it up that high it will not boot wit 3gbs i already tried

Then there's something wrong with the machine. According to Mactracker it has two memory slots which can accept a 2 GB module each. However the chipset will only allow 3 GB to be recognized. Can you tell us what size the screen is?

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edited

Last edited:
OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then there's something wrong with the machine. According to Mactracker it has two memory slots which can accept a 2 GB module each. However the chipset will only allow 3 GB to be recognized. Can you tell us what size the screen is?

thats possible we got it used at a microcenter last year
and now is out of waranty

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When on the internet…one of the biggest hardware issues with this 9+ year old iMac is the graphics hardware. Just can't handle all of the graphics many webpages contain in 2015.

This computer can certainly still be used for a lot of things…the user just needs to adjust their expectations (it ain't a new computer & it's not going to run like a new computer).;)

- Nick

Yeah i noticed that when i try to do my online courses it takes FOREVER to load a page

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my dad is in his 40s he is very attached to the internet he uses the mac to make music and do bible research with software called logos I am letting him use my old MB late 2009 which has 8gb ram (Again 8gb was not possible at the time the mac came out so they recorded the max as 4gb )and a core 2 duo i have upgraded to an alienware m15x r2 which has an i7 8gb ram and a 500gb harddrive i also have another mac listed in my specs because i cant afford another one and he seems to like the mb alot and because the one i made has better specs than the one i could afford if i could afford one at all the only thing is that this is the last os that will support the mb late 2009 so i should he get another mac if so what one would you recommend he cant afford a new one for sure but anyone have any suggestions on what he should get

I'm really sorry but the above is utterly confusing to me - the grammar is poor, there is no sentence structure, and the needs are confusing - please try to provide us a post w/ numbered listings of what your father really needs? Some suggestions: 1) What does it mean that he uses the Mac to 'make music'; 2) What 'bible research does he do - not familiar w/ 'loops'; 3) What budget does he have to upgrade to a better computer? Sorry to be a pain here but just trying to understand what we can recommend? Dave :)

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry My dad uses it to make music, He makes Bible study's With it, I have currently Loaned him my Macbook late 2009

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry My dad uses it to make music, He makes Bible study's With it, I have currently Loaned him my Macbook late 2009

OK, one point at a time:

1. Make music - does he listen to music or is he using an app to record music, such as GarageBand? If he is listening to music, what is he using, e.g. iTunes, ripping CDs, etc.

2. Makes 'Bible Studies' - does this involve searching the web and are his current needs met w/ his old computer (or w/ the one your have lent him)? What is the specific name of the app he is using and is he using the most updated version and is it compatible w/ the computers he has to use?

3. Concerning the MB late 2009 lent - what is the current OS X - is this adequate for him in view of the needs described above.

Sorry again to be a pain, but just trying to have you provide us enough information to help your father achieve his goals - Dave :)

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, one point at a time:

1. Make music - does he listen to music or is he using an app to record music, such as GarageBand? If he is listening to music, what is he using, e.g. iTunes, ripping CDs, etc.

2. Makes 'Bible Studies' - does this involve searching the web and are his current needs met w/ his old computer (or w/ the one your have lent him)? What is the specific name of the app he is using and is he using the most updated version and is it compatible w/ the computers he has to use?

3. Concerning the MB late 2009 lent - what is the current OS X - is this adequate for him in view of the needs described above.

Sorry again to be a pain, but just trying to have you provide us enough information to help your father achieve his goals - Dave :)
1. he uses finale to make music

2. He uses logos which is a data base for biblicle books

3. the MB has 10.10 on it and it works great for him but when the next os comes out the mb will not be supported

Thanks again for your help ill be on tomorrow but im tired so i am going to get off if you want to reply toinite go ahead but we can finish this tomorrow
Thanks again Good night;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. he uses finale to make music

2. He uses logos which is a data base for biblicle books

3. the MB has 10.10 on it and it works great for him but when the next os comes out the mb will not be supported

Thanks for the additional information - I had to look up those programs: 1) Finale; and 2) Logos - is your father a composer and/or musician? Finale appears to be a powerful music notation app!

Impossible to predict when the next OS X will be released (no earlier than later this year and possibly into the following one) or which older hardware will be supported - below are the current laptop requirements for installing Yosemite; most would suggest having 4-8 GB RAM for that OS, so likely will be a similar requirement. Of course the other issues are the OS X requirements for your father's software above, i.e. might require a more recent Apple operating system, and the hardware needed to run it? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 10.23.55 AM.png

OP
iHate Vista
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional information - I had to look up those programs: 1) Finale; and 2) Logos - is your father a composer and/or musician? Finale appears to be a powerful music notation app!

Impossible to predict when the next OS X will be released (no earlier than later this year and possibly into the following one) or which older hardware will be supported - below are the current laptop requirements for installing Yosemite; most would suggest having 4-8 GB RAM for that OS, so likely will be a similar requirement. Of course the other issues are the OS X requirements for your father's software above, i.e. might require a more recent Apple operating system, and the hardware needed to run it? Dave :)

Ok thanks for the info
Yes my dad is a composer and a musician :)

I have 8gb ram in the MB
and Yosemite so the MB will work fine for him

Thanks everyone for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.