my 2010 mac book pro is really slow!

Reaction score
Hi. Is there a way of speeding up a mavericks installed 2010 mac? is painfully slow. I have hardly anything on it as I mostly use the air. what can be causing it to get so sloooow? Is there an approved product that can assist? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about the Mac. Which 2010 Mac is it? How much memory does it have installed (choose About This Mac from the Apple menu). If you select the drive and choose Get Info from the Finder what is listed for the amount of free and used space on the drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello Slydude. It has 2.8 GHz core i7 with 4gb 1067 DDR3
software is OSX 10.9.5

C

chas_m

Can you be more specific about the complaint of slowness? Is it just certain apps, or everything? Does it happen in Safe Mode? Have you rebooted it lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And are you running antivirus software or the dreaded Mackeeper cleaning utilities etc?

Reaction score
Hi. Is there a way of speeding up a mavericks installed 2010 mac? is painfully slow.... Is there an approved product that can assist? Thanks

Well, first, 4GB of RAM for an installation of Mavericks on a 2010 Macintosh really isn't enough. Your Mac would be quite a bit happier with 8GB. But...did this setup ever run well (i.e. with Mavericks and 4GB of RAM)? If it did, then your RAM situation is only a secondary concern.

The first thing that I would do is uninstall any anti-virus software that you have installed (using the developer's uninstaller program, not just by drag and dropping the program into the trash). Then restart your Mac and see if things are better.

If they aren't, then I would do all of the recommended routine maintenance suggested here:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

It's very likely doing the above will fix things. But if it doesn't, we can investigate other, much less likely problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" macbook pro 6.1, 2.66 GHz Intel i7 8GB DDR3
Another thing you could try is installing the free app memory clean in the app store. I also noticed my 2010 mbp running a bit slower when I upgraded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.