Musician getting his 1st Mac

D

dfwbassist

Hello,

I was hoping to get some guidance here regarding what type of system to get.
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.

Anyhow I need a system that either comes with or has been upgraded to at least 1G of RAM and has the largest drive I can get for under 1500. I've considered spending the extra cash (which I wouldn't mind) on an iMac 1.8Ghz but am wondering if a G4 Dual 1Ghz would be better.

I'll be running MOTU Digital Performer, DigiDesign ProTools LE, and some other stuff (Reason, Amplitank etc)

This will be strictly a composer's workstation, don't need anything extra other than the superdrive.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
JC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dfwbassist said:
Hello,

I was hoping to get some guidance here regarding what type of system to get.
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.

Anyhow I need a system that either comes with or has been upgraded to at least 1G of RAM and has the largest drive I can get for under 1500. I've considered spending the extra cash (which I wouldn't mind) on an iMac 1.8Ghz but am wondering if a G4 Dual 1Ghz would be better.

I'll be running MOTU Digital Performer, DigiDesign ProTools LE, and some other stuff (Reason, Amplitank etc)

This will be strictly a composer's workstation, don't need anything extra other than the superdrive.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
JC
No new Macs come with 1GB of RAM standard. You can however upgrade it rather easisly on all Macs. You should be fine with 512 MB RAM (at least I am and I use Cubase SX, Live and GarageBand) but of course more would be better. As far as the systems, personally I think the iMac would be the better choice. If you are concerned about HD space, you can always upgrade the HD or get an external at a later time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.