Music won't fit back onto iPod?

Reaction score
I've had an iPod Nano 16GB since 2010 and have put on countless songs that I took from my CD collection. My Mac stopped recognizing my iPod and I realized I needed to reformat, so I got a program to move all of the media to my harddrive (it wasn't from iTunes), reformatted, and have now started putting the media back on.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to get about 1/4 of it onto the iPod before its hard drive fills up! I checked the backup folder and it's only 13GB, so the songs have not changed size. Still, it's occupying more. How can I fix this? I've had this music for years and re-purchasing it via iTunes will cost thousands all over again. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you re-format the Nano? You should have just re-set it from iTunes if it was not responding. The Nano does not contain a hard drive, it uses flash memory. And why would you have to re-purchase the music if you originally took it off your CD collection? Didn't you retain the CDs?

OP
G
Reaction score
The CDs are at my parents' house on the other side of the continent, and It's taken me literally years of hand-picking songs off of them for a library I've had for ages now. That's not an option.

"Should have," sure, but respectfully what's done is done now. How can I get 13GB of music onto a 16GB iPod? Do I need to reformat again? Any advice greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't re-format an iPod, you re-set it from iTunes. That's why I asked how you re-formatted it? Yes, try to re-set it again from iTunes. After it's been re-set, check the capacity of the Nano. A 16 GB capacity Nano will not hold 16 GB, more like around 14 GB if I remember correctly.

OP
G
Reaction score
By re-set do you mean "Restore iPod"? That's what I did before and can do again...

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok, I did that. Now when I offer to "Sync" my entire library (exclusively music taken from the iPod previously, aka about 13GB), it says "over capacity by 9GB. This isn't true though! I don't understand what's wrong. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you check the capacity of the Nano after you re-set it from iTunes? That's what I asked in my last reply to you. You need to check its capacity before syncing any music to it. If the capacity isn't at least around 14 GB, then something is wrong with your Nano.

Reaction score
nanos are not 16 gig's there 13.6 gigs with the o.s the firmware on the device won't let you use the 13 gig's because apple up converts all the music before making it onto the iPod so you need to shrink down what your copying

C

chas_m

There's an option in iTunes to convert music being transferred to your device to 128KB AAC, which should allow you to put it all or most of it back on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.