Multiple OS on same iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
As time has passed, my use of my old Office for Mac 2011 has dwindled to only 1 real use in the late summer (for my daughter, the teacher) to create lists and name labels using the mail merge function of Word & Excel. As we all know, Mojave is the last MacOS that allows 32 bit apps to be used, in which my Office falls. I do have an older Macbook that runs High Sierra, but its age worries me. So--I am thinking of partitioning my 1 TB HDD on my iMac and installing a spare copy of Mojave there so that I can update my regular OS when the time comes this fall, then be able to run my MacOffice that one time of the year. I've got @ 500 GB available so I am thinking 150 GB (as the base size of MacBook air is 128). All my docs saved to icloud. Any problems I can look forward to ??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you not do this work with Pages or OpenOffice or any other word processor? Does it have to Word? While there might be a little bit of a learning curve or transition, that seems better than trying to come up with ways of running an older OS for an older app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That seems a lot of trouble for a once-a-year use. You could get a small external drive to boot from for that one use. Although booting from an external drive is slow, if you get a small SSD for that purpose it may be acceptable for that one use. A 250GB external SSD is available at OWC for about $90. OWC Envoy Pro EX - External Portable SSD Drive

Or, you could subscribe to the Office365 smallest subscription for Office at $7/month, or $70/year. Compare All Microsoft Office Products | Microsoft Office

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake,
It all comes down to cost. 2 Yrs @ $70 would buy me a new MacOffice. I did install on USB disk, but slow is being generous. I do have a 128GB stick, but it's USB2, but it would not install there. Even a USB C stick would be part way to buying an updated Office for Mac. Just trying to save $ for such little use

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Raz0rEdge,
It's the mail merge function I need. Pages/Numbers do not provide me with what i need. Hadn't thought about Open Office

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You've gotten some alternate suggestions to consider...but in regards to the thread title "Multiple OS on same iMac"...you can absolutely do this no problem...and exactly as you mentioned.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Jake,
It all comes down to cost. 2 Yrs @ $70 would buy me a new MacOffice. I did install on USB disk, but slow is being generous. I do have a 128GB stick, but it's USB2, but it would not install there. Even a USB C stick would be part way to buying an updated Office for Mac. Just trying to save $ for such little use
I don't believe they were referring to USB sticks, more like a USB Disk drive like this, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHCLFGN/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

krs

Reaction score
I don't believe they were referring to USB sticks, more like a USB Disk drive like this, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHCLFGN/?tag=macforums0e4-20

That USB Disk drive is interesting - seems USB flash drives and traditional SSD's are starting to converge.

But for the OP, cost is a significant factor, so I wonder if something along these lines would not work
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007JPVYFO/

Not as fast and less capacity, but a lot less expensive.
However, a MacOS & MS Office should take less than 10 GB, so there is lots of space for data.

Reaction score
As we all know, Mojave is the last MacOS that allows 32 bit apps to be used, in which my Office falls.

Microsoft Office 20ll is obsolete and all support for it from Microsoft ended two years ago.

However, Microsoft Office 2016 has a free update to 64-bit support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3187505/office-2016-for-mac-64-bit-upgrade

Direct download:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525133

So, if what you want is Microsoft Office, and only Microsoft Office, an economical way to go would be to purchase the now outdated Office 2016 (Office 2019 is current) at the discounted prices being offered for leftover copies, and apply the updater.

krs

Reaction score
Microsoft Office 20ll is obsolete and all support for it from Microsoft ended two years ago.

However, Microsoft Office 2016 has a free update to 64-bit support.

So, if what you want is Microsoft Office, and only Microsoft Office, an economical way to go would be to purchase the now outdated Office 2016 (Office 2019 is current) at the discounted prices being offered for leftover copies, and apply the updater.

Great Idea!

But how do I know I get a legitimate copy of MS Office?
When I google for MS Office 2016 for the Mac, I get prices all over the map on the very first page - even offers for MS Office 2019 cheaper than 2016 like the very first one.

MS Office 2016.jpg

Reaction score
But how do I know I get a legitimate copy of MS Office?

If the price seems too good to be true, it is. It's, at minimum, a grey market version of Office.

The way to go would be to call around and see who locally has a boxed version of Office 2016 they are selling new. Failing that, look for a boxed version being sold as a leftover online. As long as it is new in the box, it's likely legit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the price seems too good to be true, it is. It's, at minimum, a grey market version of Office.

You see those on eBay and elsewhere. Supposedly they're legitimate but many times they will fail to activate and even if they do, they will fail to update because of counterfeit serial numbers. Even a genuine copy of Office 2013 is still expensive and that version has long been superseded by 2016 and now 2019.

I personally bit the bullet and purchased a copy of Office from the Mac App Store. I'm not in favor of the subscription process but I do need to keep current because of compatibility. If it were not for that, I would use Pages exclusively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I personally bit the bullet and purchased a copy of Office from the Mac App Store. I'm not in favor of the subscription process but I do need to keep current because of compatibility.

I don't need it and won't be bothering but I'm a bit confused when I look at the App Store.

They don't even seem to list anything for Microsoft Office, and only separate downloads for word excel Etc. And even then there seem to be restrictions.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.30.00 PM.png

And most of the user comments are pretty bad:

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.30.44 PM.png

Bottom line, it doesn't look like I could even buy a copy of MS Office from the Mac App Store if I wanted to. Maybe it's just a Canada App Store thing. But it sure seems confusing for those who do need a legit copy.

Maybe their App Store shows things a bit differently with different options, but I don't know. All I know is I would have to look elsewhere, especially after reading the user comments.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They don't even seem to list anything for Microsoft Office, and only separate downloads for word excel Etc. And even then there seem to be restrictions.

Not sure which version of the Mac App Store you have, but mine clearly shows Microsoft Office in addition to the Apps that are included such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.

Reaction score
Not sure which version of the Mac App Store you have, but mine clearly shows Microsoft Office in addition to the Apps that are included such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.

I'm in the U.S. I was curious, and I too found that only demo versions of the individual Office programs were available in the Mac App Store.

I checked Microsoft's Web site, and Office 2019 stand-alone for home users is now GONE.

Office 2019 stand-alone for business ($250) is available from:
Shopping cart - Microsoft Store

There is NO WAY I'm ever going to be paying that. I'm switching to FreeOffice/Softmaker Office:

www.freeoffice.com - Download

SoftMaker: Official Website

I already use FreeOffice on one of my MacBook Pros. I can't believe it is free. I'll likely do the $20 upgrade on all of my Macs to Softmaker Office.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've done the $20 on my oMac after trying FreeOffice based on a previous mention in the forum (yours I think). It's we;; worth it though I don't remember why I chose the upgrade. FreeOffice pretty much did what I needed.

I'm mainly using the word processing function but haven't had an issue transferring documents to Office. The only problem I've had is a document printed in landscape mode on legal paper clips off part of the first column when printed even though it looks fine on screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the U.S. I was curious, and I too found that only demo versions of the individual Office programs were available in the Mac App Store.

I still show Office 365, Word and Excel, but no Powerpoint. Nothing that I can see states that those apps are demo only. The Mac App Store allows you to use the App for 30 days before charging the subscription price. Is that what you mean?

When I purchased O365, the App Store gave me 30 days of free use before charging my credit card. I assume that before the 30 days were up, I could cancel out and not have to pay.

By the way, I did purchase the special priced SoftMaker Office a while back. I was not impressed with the way it displayed and saved my older Word documents and discontinued its use. If I have to re-edit my older Word documents to make them presentable, I may as well use Pages which is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.