Multiple Licenses on friends' computers

Reaction score
Hey guys, searched this but couldn't find anything definitive.

I just want to know whether it's possible to install multiple licenses of OS X on computers not in the same household. I know that it shouldn't be done, but I'm asking whether it will install, given that I entered my address and registered my copy of Tiger.

The background is that I'm moving in with a friend, and we'll technically be in the same household at our pad in the town of our university but I want to register the OS X under my home address.

So, I know it's a dicy situation legally, but is it possible at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well I'm going to assume you're asking about OS X 10.4 since 10.5 isn't available... ;)

The answer is no, it's not legal unless you're in the same household.

As you know, we won't allow discussion of anything illegal or ways to skirt the legality of the licensing agreement.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I understand. But if Leopard comes out, and I am an officially registered inhabitant of that apartment, as is my friend, then we may use the family license? I mean buying Leopard after we both live there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At this point, there's no way to know what Leopard's license will be or if there will be any fraud prevention built into it until it's released.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Very dimplomatic answer, Schweb :) .

But the situation I described in my second post passes as legal, don't you agree?

I think I have my answer, so I don't want to bother or endanger the integrity of this board any longer ;) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you live in the same household with the intent of it remaining that way, then I think you fit the licensing requirement.

However, if you move out of the household, I'm not sure if the license still allows you to maintain the installation on the computer that was removed.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Interesting question. I think I'll phone Apple and ask what happens if I move out. (They come home and take away my MacBook boohoo).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Apple said:
Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

That's the Family pack license. So no you would not be able to install it on someone else's computer just because they're in the same apartment building, they would need to be in the same unit as you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.