.mp3 to .wma, HOW???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
When I have all .mp3 files in my iTunes, how can I convert them to .wma. I need to do this since I burn some on CDs and the CD players won't pick up on .mp3s. Thanks! :D :Oops:

Reaction score
Try versiontracker.com and run a search for sound converter. Five or so apps will show up. One is freeware, but I don't know whether it includes wma. Another is in beta, and the rest are shareware. I didn't read about them, so I don't know what they offer.

You could try the search at macupdate.com, as well, and probably find more with a web search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
.wma = Windows Media Player and I suspect no program but Microsoft's will do a conversion.

If a CD player won't play mp3, it won't play wma either. You need to convert to wav.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Perhaps you could provide a fuller description of what you're trying to do. If you've been trying to get MP3 CDs to play in CD players, then you're correct - they won't play (unless, of course, you have an MP3 CD player). However, burning an audio CD with a program like iTunes or Nero, using MP3s as the source, should create CDs that can be read by most CD players.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
exactly what joshbrez says. there would almost never be reason for converting mp3 to wma.

if you're trying to make an audio cd for play in a normal cd player, mp3s burned with any common cd burning program to make audio cds (as opposed to data cds) will do the job.

Reaction score
iTunes will burn audio (non-MP3 format) CD's just fine.

However, I have found that when using high speeds (12x, 24x) that some older CD players will not play correctly (this has happened to me on two different players).

When burning using 2x speed, the CD's have played in all equipment used. To change the default burn rate to 2x: iTunes=>Preferences=>Advanced=>Burning=>Preferred Speed.

Reaction score
exactly what joshbrez says. there would almost never be reason for converting mp3 to wma.

My reason for converting mp3 to wma is that my Motorola K1M only plays stinking wretched wma files and all of their software is written for windows. I can manually shift tunes over using bluetooth browser, but the phone doesn't even recognize that anything is there.

Plenty of mp3 to wma converters out there for PC. Plenty of OSX converters for wma to mp3... but I'm not finding anything (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) for my uses.

I really don't want to have to build a PC just so I can stick a few tunes on my phone. :Not-Amused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.