.Mp3 to .Mid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can't.
MP3 is sample based, MID is note based.

It would be like converting a casette tape into a live piano.

You can only go from notes -> samples. Not the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
How bad, and I'm going to get flamed for this but THERE IS a mp3 to midi converter for windows, click here to see it for yourself!
I was going to post this same topic, so if anyone knows if there's a mac program for this purpose I'd appreciate your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey!

It'll be interesting to see if these programs are actually accurate to any degree.
As giulio mentioned, Midi data is just commands sent to controllers where as audio is entirely different. If anyone tries this software, please report back how accurate it is!

~~ TS ~~

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey!

It'll be interesting to see if these programs are actually accurate to any degree.
As giulio mentioned, Midi data is just commands sent to controllers where as audio is entirely different. If anyone tries this software, please report back how accurate it is!

~~ TS ~~

Agreed TS. I doubt it will be very accurate as I know I tried something like this back in the day and was not all that happy but hey, who knows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried them, on windows, while making ringtones for my cellphone. Sample to note conversion is horrid unless your music is 1 or 2 instuments only, and their notes are short, and the notes do not overlap.
What the software does is try to find notes from the audio, and build sheet music (along with custom instruments).
The problem is, my cell phone has built in instruments, so the custom ones dont work anyway.
Then I learned to make PCM (sample based) ringers. All better =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Hey!

~~ TS ~~

Just like there's voice recognition software, there are music recognition programs around. These listen to audio played in and try to figure out the notes and the length of notes etc...

They don't work very well with multiple instruments playing at once. There's some very good guitar pedals that track the audio signal and can replace the sound with a synth/sample.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys hear an echo? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
Just like there's voice recognition software, there are music recognition programs around. These listen to audio played in and try to figure out the notes and the length of notes etc...

They don't work very well with multiple instruments playing at once. There's some very good guitar pedals that track the audio signal and can replace the sound with a synth/sample.

I have a Boss GT-6, does it fit into that description? I

Reaction score
I had this same problem a while back. I believe you need at least Windows Media Player 10. If you have a Windows computer or if you can run Windows on your Mac you should be able to make the ringtone. Open the file is WMP 10 and there should be an option to Save As. Add the extension .mid. It should work. I do it for my ringtones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.